What's new

New Report Says iPhone 8 Facial Recognition System Makes Measurements in “Millionths of a Second”

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 8 3D facial recognition tech can measure in millionths of seconds.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that according to a story today in the Korea Herald, the iPhone 8’s OLED display, which is being manufactured by Samsung, will have facial recognition capabilities that can measure in “millionths of a second.”

The Korea Herald report about the new iPhone 8 OLED facial recognition system says that the system is so effective that it can “deeply sense a user’s face in the millionths of a second.”

Looking at the advent of facial recognition systems on mobile phones in general, The Wall Street Journal writes that systems such as, presumably, the new iPhone 8 system, are so sophisticated that they are able to work not just in low light but in darkness.
“Depth-sensing technology, generally called ‘structured light,” sprays thousands of tiny infrared dots across a person’s face or any other target.

By reading distortions in this field of dots, the camera gathers superaccurate depth information. Since the phone’s camera can see infrared but humans can’t, such a system could allow the phone to unlock in complete darkness.”

Meanwhile, Qualcomm says that its own facial recognition technology will enable the next generation of Android phones to equal, or even beat, the iPhone 8’s facial recognition technology. Good to know that the iPhone 8 tech is already deemed to be so good that other companies are scrambling to try and beat it.

Sources: Asian report says iPhone 8 face recognition system will work in ‘millionths of a second’

Why Your Face Will Soon Be the Key to All Your Devices

So, if I am tied up, or unconscious someone can take my phone and unlock it, or if I am incarcerated (never plan to be but you can't ever be sure [emoji33]) the police can point it at me and unlock it without asking? Doesn't seem the best solution to me, just thinking out loud.

Hope it's better than current software. Sometimes I have hair, sometimes I shave my head. Sometimes I have a goatee, sometimes I have a beard. My current iPhone 7+ separates my pictures of me into 4 different "people"

So, if I am tied up, or unconscious someone can take my phone and unlock it, or if I am incarcerated (never plan to be but you can't ever be sure [emoji33]) the police can point it at me and unlock it without asking? Doesn't seem the best solution to me, just thinking out loud.

In the same thought process, they can do that now with the thumbprint.

Would this phone unlock for me without my teeth in l wonder:) Or must l then use the OLD methods