What's new

I had told myself...

christopherjknight

Reaction score
That Apple had taken its eye off the ball. As a long time Apple fan, both of desktop and phone offerings, I had/have become increasingly disenchanted ny Apple's products and services - beautiful as they are. Discontent started early with form over function raising its ugly head in various Apple desktop system apps (think Finder) then discovering that if you want a navigation app for a phone, you had best use Android, because IOS absolutely sucks in comparison (brain damaged apps or powerful apps that simply aren't available on IOS. I decided a week ago to make a massive change and go completely to Android which I have been using for navigation on my motorcycle and will certainly continue to use!). I had even picked out the phone a Google Pixel 2.

Then I saw the iPhone X and in an hour had been seduced into signing up for the upgrade programme...

I didn't really know what to expect - in terms of personal reactions - bit the bottom line is that I love it!

What sells it for me is Face recognition. It still strikes me as stupid that something so "simple", compared with the fingerprint recognition I have on my iPhone 6plus should make such a difference but it does. My 6plus periodically started to find difficulty in recognising my fingerprints and it was never lightning fast in doing so; face recognition blows it out of the water and feels worth every expensive penny.

The phone is faster I suppose but I never felt the 6 was slow and for most things, I hardly notice a difference to be honest. Reading books on the Kindle app, I have to reduce the font size a bit more than I prefer to get the same amount on a page as the 6 plus, so in many ways, the upgrade hardly feels worth it. However Face ID does it for me.

Yet people over on the MacRumors forum are whining and groaning and moaning about how crappy FaceID is.
For me, FaceID has been 100% flawless. Works with my contacts, without my contacts, with my glasses, without my glasses, with my sunglasss, without my sunglasses, inside, outside, daytime, night time and all combinations of this.

no complaints what so ever with face recognition, love it! and I've been a hardcore Android user since 2010, I tried iphones a few times and just couldn't do it, Apple got it right with the X, Android may be more flexible but it's a very buggy platform, and as they say, Apple just works, the ONLY thing I miss about Android is google maps on Android Auto

no complaints what so ever with face recognition, love it! and I've been a hardcore Android user since 2010, I tried iphones a few times and just couldn't do it, Apple got it right with the X, Android may be more flexible but it's a very buggy platform, and as they say, Apple just works, the ONLY thing I miss about Android is google maps on Android Auto

You can put Google maps on your iPhone....

Hey!

its Nice to try the best of both worlds using android and iOS as both have their ups and down sides.

I got my iPhone X and I really like the Face ID as well. I have it setup to login to everything such as my banking app and it works great, even in the dark.

I don’t like that you can’t have the battery percentage showing all the time with the X and I am wondering where this “notch” is that a few people have not liked.

Hey!

its Nice to try the best of both worlds using android and iOS as both have their ups and down sides.

I got my iPhone X and I really like the Face ID as well. I have it setup to login to everything such as my banking app and it works great, even in the dark.

I don’t like that you can’t have the battery percentage showing all the time with the X and I am wondering where this “notch” is that a few people have not liked.
The notch is the part at the top of the screen that doesn’t light up and contains the front facing camera, earpiece, ambient light sensor, and proximity detector.

The notch is the part at the top of the screen that doesn’t light up and contains the front facing camera, earpiece, ambient light sensor, and proximity detector.

Thanks for that..

I guess without it you might be able to have the battery % showing all the time, that’s the only thing I don’t like about it.

There’s no reason why Apple can’t give the users the choice between the battery icon or a percentage reading without the battery icon. There would certainly be room for that.
This reminds me of the iPod Touch where you can’t show the battery percentage either.

There’s no reason why Apple can’t give the users the choice between the battery icon or a percentage reading without the battery icon. There would certainly be room for that.
This reminds me of the iPod Touch where you can’t show the battery percentage either.

Yeah, you can show the % if you bring down the menu from the top, but it’s a shame you have to do that every time just to see the %. Maybe that will change in an iOS update, or at least give you the option again for the X

I agree with your opinion. But it so insignificant, compared to how well the phone performs and the Face ID is amazing. I can guess within a couple of percentage points, by looking at the gauge. So it’s not like we are totally blind to the status of our battery.