What's new

IPhone Lock Button Not Working (Please Help!)

ab541

Reaction score
Hey guys been having a bit of an issue with my IPhone lock button over the last few hours . Basically the lock button does not seem to be working when i press it , but yet it still clicks properly and feels fine though for some reason its not registering on the phone itself. Is this most likely a hardware or a software issue because it still clicks properly and has anyone else just randomly experienced this as i found a few articles of apple being sued over this problem with 4S IPhone's ,as apparently it was something due to a design flaw?

Sounds like hardware to me
Is it in worenty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a common problem i have Hurd

Its not in warranty anymore but im planning to get it repaired for quite a good price from a third party repair shop within the next few days, its strange though because i spoke to the owner on the phone and he said that the lock button problems usually occur when you can feel that its not clicking properly which isn't the case for me as i mentioned. But im just hoping that he can fix it and that its not some other underlying hardware issue. Guess i might have to do a restore if all else fails though but im not really sure if anyone has resolved the lock button problem by doing this in some circumstances.

Last edited:
It's really easy to replace the button yourself. You can pick up a replacement online for a few bucks. If you've never opened up an iphone before it's pretty easy.

We'll I agree it is strange
I am glad you are not taking it to Apple they will charge to much. I have to ask ware are you taking it? I am a little worried because sometimes mine is a little funny. I keep thinking it will break

@Ninety5eclipz , i will probably just take it for repair as im getting it fixed at quite a cheap rate and don't really want to take the risk with opening the phone at this time , but i probably should learn how to open the IPhone up in the future and get more confident with doing home repairs myself as money is something that im looking to always save.

@Tech guy I would never take it to Apple for repairs unless it was still in warranty and yeah they definitely charge you an arm and a leg for the smallest of problems with the phone. I also live in the UK and the shop im taking it to get this issue sorted out is a small privately owned computer repair store that i have used for phone repairs before . The great part about them is that they will not charge me anything if they cannot fix the issue either and whenever i have an issue with my phone or computer then they will always be able to take a look at the problem for free before i agree for them to carry out the repair , plus i can negotiate prices with them usually which is definitely a good thing. Not sure where you live but its worth having a search round on the internet to find any third party phone repair stores near you , just make sure you read the reviews if there are any because the last thing you want is to end up in some dodgy repair store where they will make the existing problems 10X worse. Anyways good luck in finding one.

@Ninety5eclipz , i will probably just take it for repair as im getting it fixed at quite a cheap rate and don't really want to take the risk with opening the phone at this time , but i probably should learn how to open the IPhone up in the future and get more confident with doing home repairs myself as money is something that im looking to always save.

@Tech guy I would never take it to Apple for repairs unless it was still in warranty and yeah they definitely charge you an arm and a leg for the smallest of problems with the phone. I also live in the UK and the shop im taking it to get this issue sorted out is a small privately owned computer repair store that i have used for phone repairs before . The great part about them is that they will not charge me anything if they cannot fix the issue either and whenever i have an issue with my phone or computer then they will always be able to take a look at the problem for free before i agree for them to carry out the repair , plus i can negotiate prices with them usually which is definitely a good thing. Not sure where you live but its worth having a search round on the internet to find any third party phone repair stores near you , just make sure you read the reviews if there are any because the last thing you want is to end up in some dodgy repair store where they will make the existing problems 10X worse. Anyways good luck in finding one.

Trust me it's a lot easier than you think. :)

Yeah definitely something that i am going to be practicing with in the future when i have more time on my hands, but for the financial situation that im in at the moment i cannot afford to mess with the phone myself causing further damage so i suppose its best just to leave it to the professionals at the moment. Plus i pretty much suck with hardware repairs of any sort as im more of a software guy myself :D

Hope all goes good
Verizon said they replace it if something like that happens maybe they do the same.
Worth a try

Are there any directions available for fixing a stuck power button?

If you're not too queasy about working on your own phone... There's an excellent web site called iFixit that gives you step by step directions on doing many different repairs on iPhones. They also sell replacement parts, but they are a little pricey on those. You'd do better by getting them on eBay or somewhere else.

Sent from my PC using Bluestacks and Tapatalk Pro