What's new

Iphone Battery Saving Tips

rob19764

Reaction score
Turn on Auto-Brightness
The iPhone has an ambient light sensor that adjusts the brightness of the screen based on the light around it (when there's more ambient light, the screen needs less power to be visible). Turn Auto-Brightness on and you’ll save battery because your screen will need to use less power in bright places.

Turn Data Push Off

The iPhone can be set to automatically suck email and other data down to it or, for some kinds of accounts, have data pushed out to it whenever new data becomes available. You’re probably realized by now that accessing wireless networks costs you battery life, so turning data push off, and thus reducing the number of times your phone connects to the network, will extend your battery’s life. With push off, you’ll need to set your email to check periodically or do it manually.

Turn Off Location Services

One of the coolest features of the iPhone is its built-in GPS. This allows your phone to know where you are and give you exact driving directions, give that information to apps that help you find restaurants, and more. But, like any service that sends data over a network, it needs battery power to work. If you’re not using Location Services, and don’t plan to right away, turn them off and save some power.

Turn Off 3G

The iPhone 3G and later models can take advantage the speedy 3G cellular phone network. Not surprisingly, using 3G requires more battery life to get the quicker data speeds and higher-quality calls. It’s tough to go slower, but if you need more battery, turn off 3G and just use the older, slower EDGE network. Your battery will last longer (though you’ll need it when you’re downloading websites more slowly!).

Turn off Equalizer

The iPod app on the iPhone has an Equalizer feature that can adjust music to increase bass, decrease treble, etc. Because these adjustments are made on the fly, they require extra battery. Turn the equalizer off to conserve battery. This means you'll have a slightly modified listening experience - the battery savings might not be worht it to true audiophiles - but for those hoarding battery power, it's a good deal.

Hi,

If you turn off 3g then your connection on edge will be at snails pace.

Turning off location services will hinder location based apps and make findmyiphone inoperable.

I would suggest a user turns off all the system services in location services as this is what apple uses to assess users habits etc.

There comes a point where if you turn all the frills off then whats the point of having a smartfone.

With my iPhone 4 i easily achieve 1.5 days of battery life with heavy use.

Last edited:
I do all of this but they dont effect my batter usage atall.
That can't be, your battery should give a better out put if you turn off those settings. To find out, try to monitor your battery usage after a full charge with your actually settings, then turn on all the settings and monitor your battery after a full charge, you must notice that there will be a faster drain in the battery than when you where having most of the settings off.

Bab2010, i have been for a couple of days and all im getting out of a charge (when i turn all those things off) is probaly 15%

Bab2010, i have been for a couple of days and all im getting out of a charge (when i turn all those things off) is probaly 15%
If what you're saying is that you've gained 15% of your battery back for a day of usage... that's actually quite a nice change!!

Oh well when i asked freinds to do this and see a different, they said they got around 30%, frankly i think they are lying.

15% doesnt last long with me, id say about 10-15mins

Yeah, if after turning off you gained 15% then it's already great. I posted before because you said that you didn't notice any change at all with the battery.
You can even gain better battery usage time if you don't play games, videos, streaming videos over 3g too. Those are activities capable of draining faster your battery even with stuff turned off in the settings. But 15% of battely gained is not bad at all.

Good thread, one of the most limiting problems of the iPhone is the (for me at least) bad battery life. If you work in an area where your service is BAD, airplane mode works well too.