What's new

iPhone 6s Reportedly Spontaneously Catches Fire

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 6s reportedly catches on fire.JPG

Following on from the many publicised incidents of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phablets catching fire, and subsequent withdrawal of the device by Samsung, many media outlets have been trying to find examples of iPhones catching fire or exploding. And while these incidents are currently very few and far between in comparison with the Galaxy Note 7 incidents, a couple of stories have come to light recently. The first of these was an iPhone 7 that was said to have exploded a few days ago, and now today Phone Arena has an exclusive report from one of its readers who says that his iPhone 6s caught fire when it was in his back pocket, resulting in a blackened and melted phone, and leaving the hapless owner with second-degree burns on his left buttock and left index finger, as well as burnt jeans.

The reader says that he was treated in his local ER, and that he also contacted Apple and is hoping for a replacement phone. Apple has yet to make a statement on the issue, and it’s quite likely that this is just an isolated, unexplained incident, or even a hoax, but worth reporting on nonetheless.

Usually if there’s a problem with an Apple product on a larger scale we start seeing multiple postings about similar incidents on the Apple Support forums (as happened with “bend-gate,” for example) which has not happened so far.

Source: Apple iPhone 6s catches on fire

Sadly, l hope this report is not true.
But my iPhone 3GS could have taken a better photo that.
Not only this, were is the handy now? Does Apple have it?

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

I would guess there is more to the story then what's being reported right now. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Personally, I don't believe the story. I don't know of any iPhone users who put the phone in their pocket. Everyone I see might get burns to their nose, but never to their butt.

I would guess there is more to the story then what's being reported right now. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Truth not lies though

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

What in the world do people do to their phones?! I have owned iOS devices since 2012 - lots of them - and I've never had any problems with software or hardware. The word "PEBKAC" comes to mind ;)

I think this report is meant to tarnish the reputation of the iPhone by trying to show that it's not just Samsung phones that catch fire. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the iPhone in question has been abused in some way.
We need to know the exact circumstances of the incident.

I think this report is meant to tarnish the reputation of the iPhone by trying to show that it's not just Samsung phones that catch fire. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the iPhone in question has been abused in some way.
We need to know the exact circumstances of the incident.
IF it's even true.. for all we know this could be Samsung trying to re-direct public attention away from their train wreck.

The comments under the original article certainly show some entrenched positions. "The evil Apple" comes in from some hammer from the usual suspects, but there is also an undertone of "the king can do no wrong". It's important, and often difficult, when these stories break not to fall foul of confirmation bias. The whole fanboy phenomenon revolves around that logical fallacy.

The picture in that article is of such low quality that you can't even determine positively that it's an iPhone, let alone what model it is.

@scifan57 Your comment in another thread about ambulance-chasing lawyers reminds me that there are journalists of the same stripe.