What's new

iPhone 5s messaging problem

hughgriff

Reaction score
This problem started recently, I don't know why or how to fix it.
If I go into an existing message thread, the old messages display ok but the send window is greyed out with some kind of counter displayed in the corner... 0:00.
I can enter text but it doesn't display in the send window. If I hit send, my invisible text is sent ok.

If I start a new message without entering a thread it all works fine, none of the above problems.

My current clumsy workaround is to prepare a text in Notes then copy and paste into the greyed out messaging window.

Can you do a screen capture and post? I can't be certain but it sounds like something is halfway locking on the voice function. Maybe a reboot of the iPhone will clear it. Hold down the home button and the on/off button until the phone shuts down. It will boot back up.

Can you do a screen capture and post? I can't be certain but it sounds like something is halfway locking on the voice function. Maybe a reboot of the iPhone will clear it. Hold down the home button and the on/off button until the phone shuts down. It will boot back up.

thanks - a reboot fixed it! Thanks bear7962.

Seen this glitch a couple times. The counter is (I think) for a voice, or maybe video, message. Might be great when that is what you want to send; not so much when you were intending to send a simple text message.

I got things back to normal by closing down iMessage and starting again.

this happens to me all the time. the only way I can clear it is to shut down the phone and restart. it is very annoying to have to do this often. does anyone know of a permanent fix for this?

I just got a notice that iOS 9.1 is available and the info said it fixes a problem that leaves a gray bar in audio message. Although I don't use audio message, I'm hoping this will fix my gray bar in messaging issue. I'm installing 9.1 right now. I'll keep an eye on messaging for a while and if 9.1 fixes the problem, I'll post my findings.