What's new

Strange iMessage bug? -- audio/image grey window blocking new-message input box.

byrondom

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 9.0. I had this strange occurrence. While using messaging a grey window suddenly appeared blocking the message-input box (or whatever it's called) at the bottom of the screen. This window is the same size as the message-input box and placed centered on the input box so that it's blocked from view. The grey window has rounded corners and what appears to be a time field at the right in small white numerals: "0:00". To the left of this window is a small camera icon and to the right of it is a microphone icon. I can still type and send messages but, because of this grey window, I can't see them until after I've sent them. About this I have three obvious questions: (1) What is it? (2) What caused it to appear? and (most important) (3) How do I get rid of it? Also, is this a known bug?

I just got rid of it by pressing on and releasing the microphone icon.

It looks like you accidentally activated voice messaging. I'm glad you figured it out.

It looks like you accidentally activated voice messaging. I'm glad you figured it out.
And how does one activate 'voice messaging'? This is happened to me several times and I've had to power off to reset it. I do see how to purposefully made what the OP described, only that when it happened to me pressing the mic button did not fix it (it brings up the voice graph, not the same as the OP - and myself see in this situation) so I powered off instead.

Every time this has happened it is when I'm starting to reply to a text. I have not been able to recreate this problem, it just happens when it happens.

I haven't had it happen to me yet. If I do, I'll try various solutions to see what works for me. Maybe it's a bug that causes it. If so, it should be fixed in a future update.
Since the OP was able to tap the microphone to fix the problem, your issue, though similar, can't be exactly the same problem; it just has the same appearance.