What's new

Iphone 5S activation

jmbertolotti

Reaction score
Do I need to activate an iPhone 5s with the original carrier sim card before you can factory unlock?

Do I need to activate an iPhone 5s with the original carrier sim card before you can factory unlock?
The original carrier is the one that has to unlock the phone for you and they normally deal only deal with the original owner. The original SIM card isn't necessary but it should be one from the same carrier.

The thing is, I requested an unlock via third party supplier. They say that my iphone is now unlocked but when I put a sim into it I got a message " No SIM " and on itunes "there is no sim card installed in the iphone you are attempting to activate". It is possible that what I need is a nano simcard from the original carrier to fully activate the iphone for the first time? sorry for my english. I just uploaded a few screenshots from my iphone

Attachments

• WP_20150718_004.jpg
    WP_20150718_004.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 523
  • WP_20150718_005.jpg
    WP_20150718_005.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 454
The choice of SIM card shouldn't make a difference when activating the iPhone, even if it is locked to a particular carrier. It sounds like your iPhone is not detecting the SIM card. Have you tried more than one SIM card to rule out the possibility of a defective SIM card? If the iPhone won't activate, or read the SIM card even after trying more than one SIM card there's the possibility of a defective SIM card reader.

A diagnostic at a repair shop or the Genius Bar at an Apple Store would tell you what the problem is.