What's new

Iphone 5s A1457 stuck in recovery

condog0182

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, my friend has just bought a iphone 5s with a cracked screen, but it needs updating /restoring.
he tried updating but it won't take it, he then asked me to have a look.

The iphone is stuck in recovery mode (the red/pink one ios 8?)

I have attempted serveral things to restore and get this working but nothing i just keep getting errors thrown at me.

I attempted standard restore and update downloaded fresh from apple update servers and everything went okay untill "waiting for iphone" then it pop saying it couldn't be restored,

after the i tried just update same thing happened but error 17

Attempted in DFU got error 9

I have tried to downgrade to 7.1.2 in DFU also but i when i load firmware it says it isnt compatible

i then downloaded another fresh IPSW of 8.2 and tried on a windows 8 machine which looked promising looked asif it was working and the BAM error 4015 and the iphone had blue screen of death for about 1-2 seconds and the rebooted to recovery again.

I have tried exiting recovery with a few programs but upon reboot it boot back into it.

also i does not show up in tinyumbrella?

if anybody could assist me with this it would be great

UPDATE:
I attempted again after work yesterday on a different windows 7 machine with clean install of latest itunes

I plugged phone in and pressed "update" downloaded ios 8.2, after this it extracted software, verified with apple,
waiting for iphone, (iphone reboots to Apple logo with progress bar). restoring iphone software shows on itunes and progress bar moves to less than a quater of the way and iphone blue screened and booted back to recovery and shown error 9 on itunes.

plugged phone into a charger for about 30/40 to ensure it had enough battery life .

after i repeated process but instead selected restore and update, everything when same as above, progress went to less that quater of the way and blue screened and rebooted back to recovery and itunes shown error 14.

if anybody could help this would be great and will help other apple users if they experience this problem.
thanks
Connor

Have you turned off or disabled your firewall and any security and anti-virus software on your computer. These can interfere with the update and restore process. If you haven't done so, do so now and let us know how it goes.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes I did this yesterday I disabled Norton auto-protect and disabled firewall before I tried the updates on the new pc.
Thanks
Connor

Is your computer connected directly to the Internet without using routers or hubs? Is your iPhone connected directly to your computer with the USB cable without going through a USB hub? Have you tried a different USB cable to connect your iPhone to the computer?

Last edited: