What's new

iPhone 5c display 'draining'

barneyboom

Reaction score
Hi

After various drops and knocks to my iPhone 5c (bought new around nearly 2 years ago) the display is giving up the ghost. I've had to replace battery and my internal speaker phone speaker (not the loud speaker) but right now I'm unsure whether to just get a new phone, or replace the display.

What is happening is what I can best describe as the display 'draining'. It appears for a second then 'burns' away, disappearing gradually. If I apply pressure to the top-right of the phone, I can get the display to remain on while the pressure is applied.

When I pull at my screen protector, it pulls away the screen from the screen unit (rather than the screen unit from the phone) exposing a split within the screen unit itself.

HERE IS A VIDEO OF WHAT'S HAPPENING.

It seems to me that it is just the screen / digitiser is broken. This should be a very simple replacement job. However, I don't want to shell out £50 for a new screen and digitiser, only to find that the problem is damage on the motherboard or somewhere more sinister.

The phone still 100% works -- I just can't see anything or make any motions unless the top right of the unit is squeezed.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts about the problem, and if replacing the screen is very likely going to sort this out.

Thanks

It could possibly be a loose connection that's temporarily closed when you squeeze the top corner of the display. You could check the connector before shelling out the money for a new display.