What's new

iPhone 4 motherboard damage

iDork

Reaction score
I hope someone can help with my issue. I dropped my iphone 4 and shattered the screen (That is not the problem). I bought a replacement screen on ebay and successfully replaced the screen. I forgot one thing. I forgot to pull the black speaker grill from the old screen and put it on the new one. So I just used the phone without it until I upgraded to the iPhone 5. Now, in an effort to sell my iPhone 4 on ebay, I wanted to put the grill in so the buyer would get a perfect phone. So, upon reassembly of my iPhone 4 at the top right of the motherboard, underneath the antenna is a tiny grey rectangular box that looks like it is ceramic... I think it is a capacitor of some kind... but my flat-blade screwdriver chipped it when I was turning the screw in that is located above it. I know... I should have been more careful... but it happened. I went ahead and finished the reassembly and tried to turn the phone on. I get no screen. The phone works but the screen does not display anything at all. I know the phone works because I accidentally launched iPod and a song began playing.... but the "home" button did not work, nor did the "lock" button... ???? Can anyone tell me what this is and if it would have something to do with the phone not functioning properly.
$iPhone4_something.jpg

Thank you in advance
David