What's new

Iphone 5 or Droid Bionic...

Smokinram

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well my wife and I are planning on jumping into the world of Smartphones as soon as some of the new phones come out and I am still undecided and need some input on which way to go.

My wife, she is sold on the Iphone and wants and Iphone 5 when it comes out, supposedly in early September.

Me, all of my friends have Droids and they all are trying to convince me of the Droid Bionic over the Iphone 5.

A little background on my wife and I. We are NOT game players, we are NOT going to sit and watch movies on our phones. We just want smart phones to make calls, text, take pictures, check email, and casually surf the internet. We also are not going to sit down and "modify" our phone to make it work better.

From what I've been reading, the Droids are easier to modify but I don't want that. I want a good phone out of the box.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks,
Andy

you should go to an apple store and play around the with iphone then go to the other store for the droid if you have time. I can tell you the iphone is so much easier then android to use and is more user friendly which from apple you would not expect would you?

but to be honest i have not used android enough to be able to say one way or the other.

droid is easier to modify and you dont have to "hack" it to really customise it but since you dont care, that wont be a problem. Apple focuses on security more and they really try lock down the phone for the user, there is no bluetooth send/receive and i imagine you wont care and the points i dont like about the iphone you probably wont care..

mail is easy to setup and use and access hotmail.yahoo..gmail any email you have, surfing the web is easy but on the ip4 atm i dont like the smaller screen trying to surf the web.

But to be honest i dont think the droid will be much harder to do these tasks that you want. the only real way to see whats going to work for you is to hold both devices in your hand and see what feels good

Last edited:
Well, being a Droid and iPhone owner, I'd definitely pick my iPhone any day. Even if my Droid is only a Galaxy 5, it's still a Droid.

Things I like about Droid is the Applanet which lets you download paid apps for free and the fact that the Droid doesn't have multi-tasking like the iPhone so it's more hassle-free to use if you're the type to play or use a lot of apps. Although the message interface is a bit dull compared to the iPhone (but you can customize how your inbox and message conversations look like by downloading certain apps in Applanet or the Marketplace).

Since you said you'd want to take pictures, then I'd suggest the iPhone for you because not only does it have a 5 megapixel camera with flash, there are also a lot of good photography apps that will further enhance how your photos will look like :)

But in a general aspect, either Droid or iPhone is a good choice! They're both smart phones anyway and they're both fast enough to meet you and your wife's main concerns :) And I think Droid Bionic is a bit bigger than an iPhone 4? Not sure, though..

Last edited:
iPhone all the way! I have never owned a droid phone, but have had a very good look at them, tweaked and updated for mates etc, in my view, they don't have nothing on the iPhone, also the iOS 5 update will have all the features of droid as well as what's on the iPhone 4 without the need to jailbreak.

thats the problem with asking in a iphone forum, every one will say iphone just like they will say android if you visit a android forum...

slowly apple do add features that people use on jailbroken devices giving people less reason to jailbreak.

Well yeah I kind of agree, but I'm quite new to the iPhone, wanted one for a while, only had this one about 7 months, but I would never go back to any other phone, iPhones are simply amazing, the best smart phone available!

Well yeah I kind of agree, but I'm quite new to the iPhone, wanted one for a while, only had this one about 7 months, but I would never go back to any other phone, iPhones are simply amazing, the best smart phone available!

I agree, i used to have nothing but nokia and then after the iphone 3gs i moved back to nokia (n97) and all the reasons i moved back i thought this is a terrible phone and nokia cant make smart phones, went back to iphone and never thought of another phone since..

though that new sony looks good the one with the keyboard, though i dont think i would like the os it uses

my first iphone was in 2007 and i never really wanted it, the only reason i got it was because i could not find another phone that was worth buying lol and i was glad i did and i jailbroke from the second day i had it

Ye took me a while to jailbreak, but now I have, I won't go back :)

I was an LG man :) now I'm simply iOS!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

LG? good choice! some of those phones looked good, my gf had nothing but LG's and i would play around with some of them

Absolutely iPHone,but maybe you should wait for the next redesign.

From my experience I would say stick to iOS. I use to stick to motorola phones but then the Moto Cliq and Android ran me away from both platforms. I tried The ever reclusive Blackberry after that and soon discovered it's lack on major updates or any kind of refinement to it's OS. I wanted to get the iPhone 4 since it's release but I didnt want the tiered plan on AT&T so I waited and finally Verizon got it and I will never try anything else.

I'm in the same boat here. I have two upgrades through VZW and I used them to get 2 Samsung Droid Charges.
My wife really likes hers but I'm not so sure I like mine. I have the 14 day trial period to make up my mind weather to return mine or not. THe damn thing likes to burn through the battery pretty quick...I'm talking 4-5hrs and I'd be down to 20% left...that SUCKS.

I have to admit though that the 4g speed is outragious...faster than #$*@. If ya know what I mean? If you are running cable at home for your desktop and you subscribe to 12-15mbs you will be equal to the speed of the charge on 4g.

Ok..........enough of that. I'm not happy with the battery performance. My wife just uses hers stock with no tweaks what so ever and she gets about a day and a half with moderate use and a full day with heavy use. I like to play around a little and tweak things so I'm thinking I will go with my original wants and get a iPhone when the new one comes out.

Any help and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cya