What's new

Traded Droid Bionic for Iphone4

Smokinram

Reaction score
Hello All,
Well after 14 days(trial period) with a new Droid Bionic, I watched my wife have 14 trouble free days with her Iphone4 while I struggled with shutting down and reboot issues with my Bionic.
Well long story short I now own an Iphone4 and so far its great.
Can anyone give me a New Iphone Owner tips and tricks and maybe a list of apps I should install along with any setup tips I may need?
Thanks,
Andy

Smokinram said:
Hello All,
Well after 14 days(trial period) with a new Droid Bionic, I watched my wife have 14 trouble free days with her Iphone4 while I struggled with shutting down and reboot issues with my Bionic.
Well long story short I now own an Iphone4 and so far its great.
Can anyone give me a New Iphone Owner tips and tricks and maybe a list of apps I should install along with any setup tips I may need?
Thanks,
Andy

Welcome to the forums. The iPhone user guide is great. Just install iBooks and search iPhone user guide. It's helpful

Thank you all for some very good input and information...

So far I've had this phone for one day and love it. WAY better battery life, much easier to manipulate, and faster even though its only 3G versus my previous 4G Droid Bionic.

One thing I can't figure out for the life of me is, there is no back button. Get into a webpage, a few pages deep and I don't know to go back other than returning back to the original internet search page. Its probably something simple but I can't figure it out.

Also is there a talk/text mode when texting? My Bionic had a button on the keyboard that looked like a microphone that allowed you to talk your texts into the phone.

Thanks again,
Andy

Smokinram said:
Thank you all for some very good input and information...

So far I've had this phone for one day and love it. WAY better battery life, much easier to manipulate, and faster even though its only 3G versus my previous 4G Droid Bionic.

One thing I can't figure out for the life of me is, there is no back button. Get into a webpage, a few pages deep and I don't know to go back other than returning back to the original internet search page. Its probably something simple but I can't figure it out.

Also is there a talk/text mode when texting? My Bionic had a button on the keyboard that looked like a microphone that allowed you to talk your texts into the phone.

Thanks again,
Andy

Try dragon dictation

Ok well I am now three days into my iphone4 and I love it over my Droid Bionic...

What I need to know from you all is how do I get the most of my battery life? I am used to "non-Smart" phones with extended batteries that last me all day with hard usage. These smart phones are kind of fragile with their battery life in comparison.

My Bionic was awful. This iphone4 is much better but still does not stand up to my daily usage.

What should I disable, or enable or download to extend the battery life as much as possible?

Thanks,
Andy

Smokinram said:
Ok well I am now three days into my iphone4 and I love it over my Droid Bionic...

What I need to know from you all is how do I get the most of my battery life? I am used to "non-Smart" phones with extended batteries that last me all day with hard usage. These smart phones are kind of fragile with their battery life in comparison.

My Bionic was awful. This iphone4 is much better but still does not stand up to my daily usage.

What should I disable, or enable or download to extend the battery life as much as possible?

Thanks,
Andy

for the first week drain the battery completely till it dies and then let it charge fully without interruption. and then do that every month for the rest of the phones life. it basically stretches the battery and resets the battery stats (batteries have a kinda memory that after so long will slowly fool itself into thinking it has a smaller capacity than it really has) evidence of this is if you have used the phone for a half a day, and are at say 73%...then turn the phone off and power it back on and it'll rea 76%. also, try not to bump charge it throughout the day unless you have to. that'll mess with the battery memory.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Minimize use of location services: Applications that actively use location services such as Maps may reduce battery life. To disable location services, go to Settings > General > Location Services or use location services only when needed.
Turn off push notifications: Some applications from the App Store use the Apple Push Notification service to alert you of new data. Applications that extensively rely on push notifications (such as instant messaging applications) may impact battery life. To disable push notifications, go to Settings > Notifications and set Notifications to Off. Note that this does not prevent new data from being received when the application is opened. Also, the Notifications setting will not be visible if you do not have any applications installed that support push notifications.
Fetch new data less frequently: Applications such as Mail can be set to fetch data wirelessly at specific intervals. The more frequently email or other data is fetched, the quicker your battery may drain. To fetch new data manually, from the Home screen choose Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Manually. To increase the fetch interval, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and tap Hourly. Note that this is a global setting and applies to all applications that do not support push services.
Turn off push mail: If you have a push mail account such as Yahoo! or Microsoft Exchange, turn off push when you don’t need it. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set Push to Off. Messages sent to your push email accounts will now be received on your phone based on the global Fetch setting rather than as they arrive.
Auto-check fewer email accounts: You can save power by checking fewer email accounts. This can be accomplished by turning off an email account or by deleting it. To turn off an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose an email account, and set Account to Off. To remove an account, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, choose an email account, and tap Delete Account.
Minimize use of third-party applications: Excessive use of applications such as games that prevent the screen from dimming or shutting off or applications that use location services can reduce battery life.
Turn off Wi-Fi: If you rarely use Wi-Fi, you can turn it off to save power. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and set Wi-Fi to Off. Note that if you frequently use your iPhone to browse the web, battery life may be improved by using Wi-Fi instead of cellular data networks.
Turn off Bluetooth: If you rarely use a Bluetooth headset or car kit, you can turn off Bluetooth to save power. Go to Settings > General > Bluetooth and set Bluetooth to Off.
Use Airplane Mode in low- or no-coverage areas: Because your iPhone always tries to maintain a connection with the cellular network, it may use more power in low- or no-coverage areas. Turning on Airplane Mode can increase battery life in these situations; however, you will be unable to make or receive calls. To turn on Airplane Mode, go to Settings and set Airplane Mode to On.
Adjust brightness: Dimming the screen is another way to extend battery life. Go to Settings > Brightness and drag the slider to the left to lower the default screen brightness. In addition, turning on Auto-Brightness allows the screen to adjust its brightness based on current lighting conditions. Go to Settings > Brightness and set Auto-Brightness to On.
Turn off EQ: Applying an equalizer setting to song playback on your iPhone can decrease battery life. To turn EQ off, go to Settings > iPod > EQ and tap Off. Note that if you’ve added EQ to songs directly in iTunes, you’ll need to set EQ on iPhone to Flat in order to have the same effect as Off because iPhone keeps your iTunes settings intact. Go to Settings > iPod > EQ and tap Flat.
Turn off 3G (GSM model only): Using 3G cellular networks loads data faster, but may also decrease battery life, especially in areas with limited 3G coverage. To disable 3G, from the Home screen choose Settings > General > Network and set Enable 3G to Off. You will still be able to make and receive calls and access cellular data networks via EDGE or GPRS where available.

@iCrank instead of quoting cause it is so long.... I thought everything you said was just common sense, doesn't everyone know about that stuff? lol ;-)

izzyfanto said:
@iCrank instead of quoting cause it is so long.... I thought everything you said was just common sense, doesn't everyone know about that stuff? lol ;-)

No everyone doesn't know it obviously. Looks like op needed guidance. I got tired of typing the answer to that question