What's new

iPhone 5 on Verion or AT&T ?

iPhoneDiva

Reaction score
I live in Phoenix AZ and trying to decide which carrier to stay with. I like Verizon's service where I live etc.
but really like the fact that I can surf and talk on the net only with AT&T.
I guess I am just wanting to know everyone's feedback between the two carriers.
Feels like being on Verizon those features just don't work.

AT&T shouldn't be that bad in your area. I have a friend who lives there and he's on AT&T and he says it's fine. Verizon might have slightly faster speeds but not sure in your area. Those features aren't working on Verizon as of now. In a future iOS update or if Verizon opens up the ports to allow users to do so, you can talk and surf at the same time.

I have a Verizon IPhone 5 here in NYC and it allows me to talk and surf at the same time. My Android on the 4G LTE before my IPhone allowed me to talk and surf at the same time. I think that when Verizon came to the 4G LTE system it allowed you to start doing it.

I have a Verizon IPhone 5 here in NYC and it allows me to talk and surf at the same time. My Android on the 4G LTE before my IPhone allowed me to talk and surf at the same time. I think that when Verizon came to the 4G LTE system it allowed you to start doing it.

are you on wifi when doing this? because it doesn't allow me to do that on my iPhone 5 for Verizon.

In the years that I have had cellular service I've had just about all - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Nextel. I have been with Verizon for the past nine years. Why? Because I have found the reliability of their network to be the best - and that's what counts.

Verizon might cost a little bit more depending on your needs. But you get what you pay for - too many of my friends who were lured by bargain basement prices of other carriers regret their choices due to numerous dropped calls and alleged 4G data that the carrier can slow to a snail's pace at will.

Sometimes choosing a bargain-cost cell provider ends up being the worst money you've ever saved.

You actually cant surf the net and talk on the phone at the same time on Verizon LTE . the reason is iPhone has two radios 1st one is for signal and the 2nd one is for signal strength improvement. so they use both there radios for a call. so when you make a call on verizon it drops you down to the 3g side to make that call and now you do not have another one to pull LTE and surf the web. att can do this because the att iphone only uses 1 radio for calls and has another one available to surf the net. Apple did not want to add a 3rd radio in the iP5 because it wouldve added bulk and cost. not the best explanation but there are better ones if you google it.

No Simultaneous Talk And Surf On The Verizon And Sprint iPhone 5 [Update: Apple Explains Why] | Cult of Mac

but as far as a choice between att and vzw its preferential. vzw for me is lightning quick and i cannot recall a time where i have dropped a call. pro for att i guess is you can talk and surf. if you are in a good service area.

Last edited:
I live in Baton Rouge and ATT works well on 4g for me, not certain but I think VZW does go faster here also but I believe it's only by a slim margin. That is if there is any difference.