What's new

AT&T or Verizon? I can go either way.

TfromFl

Reaction score
I have recently purchased an iPhone 4 through AT&T but am second-guessing myself now, I am still within the 30 day return period and am thinking of doing so at this point.

I have determined there is good and bad with both of them, so what is your take? Anybody done any research and care to elaborate? Or were you with one and recently made a switch? Please tell me why you switched or decided to stay with one or the other. Are there any differences in the iPhone 4 depending on which carrier?

The main reason for me (not the only), is, I travel and work in Tennessee in the summer and Verizon coverage is much better in Tn. I live in Florida otherwise and really never had a problem with AT&T here.

From personal experience, I would take a CDMA phone any day over a GSM (besides that, what's the difference between the two?) I don't specifically know about the CDMA version of the iPhone, but here in Canada CDMA is WAY better in the boonies. Who cares if you can't go to another carrier with a CDMA, by the time your contract is over you'll qualify for a new phone anyway.

Thanks for the reply but, I have no idea what any of that means. I presume AT&T has one type and Verizon has the other?

Verzion = CDMA
AT&T = GSM

I don't know the technical in and outs but I think CDMA iPhones only work in USA (maybe Canada) GSM works just about everywhere...

Whatever you have a better signal in your area with.

Exactly: whichever gives you a better signal in your area!!! Plus, the AT&T phone (GSM) can accommodate a phone call WHILE using the phone on the Internet at the same time! You may not find this useful, until you need it!

I already understand the part about "Whatever you have a better signal in your area with." Which is why I said this— "The main reason for me (not the only), is, I travel and work in Tennessee in the summer and Verizon coverage is much better in Tn. I live in Florida otherwise and really never had a problem with AT&T here." And emphasized the word "main". Obviously signal in your area would be the main consideration in choosing a carrier.

Okay, EWyatt, that's something to consider, thanks. So, I did some research on this and understand that you can't multitask but, what about if you are surfing the web and get a call? Will the call interrupt your surfing? Or do you miss the call and end up with a voice-mail after the fact? I know you can't surf the web while in a call but what about vise-versa? Will the incoming call come through?

Verzion = CDMA
AT&T = GSM

I don't know the technical in and outs but I think CDMA iPhones only work in USA (maybe Canada) GSM works just about everywhere...

Thanks, gaz! I now have read all about the differences in CDMA and GSM.

Your welcome.

You can multitask on the verzion iPhone just like you would on the AT&T version. Its just using the internet and making a call that you can't do. If your on the Internet and a call comes through your internet will get disconnected and the call takes priority. To be honest, I've never done both at the same time anyway except for giving it a try once. It's not really much use as find it hard to multitask myself. Lol...

I've made up my mind; I'm staying right where I'm at! With AT&T. I have never researched something so hard in my life!