What's new

iPhone 5 might be released with 4G LTE chip next year, says analyst

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iphone-5.png

After Apple’s iPhone 4S announcement yesterday, many questioned why the iPhone 5 has not been released. Some analysts think that it has something to do with the 4G Long-Term Evolution (LTE) that will only be out next spring.

“They’re saving iPhone 5 for the LTE version and that won’t be out until next spring,” analyst Will Strauss said.

According to Apple executive Tim Cook, the first generation of LTE chipsets would force a lot of design compromises with the handset, “some of those we are just not willing to make,” he had said earlier this year.

“There’s no way they could come out with LTE now,” Strauss said, adding that Thunderbolt from HTC requires a two chip solution – an LTE chip and one for 3G voice connections. He also estimates that the release date for the rumored iPhone 5 would be early 3rd quarter of 2012.

Reports of a chip capable of LTE that would respect Apple’s requirements could arrive early next year, according to Anand Shimpi of AnandTech. It is expected that the first phones powered by the MDM9615 chip will arrive in the second quarter of 2012.

Although many were hoping for a new generation of iPhones, Apple has decided to only release the 4S, a highly enhanced version of the former phone, with no aesthetic design differences. Response to the iPhone 4S have been mixed and an overwhelming negative reaction came from the Chinese customers. According to some users’ opinion, if they can’t show off with it, there’s no point in buying one.

By Radu Tyrsina

Source: AppleForums.net via AppleInsider

At this point Apple has said they will not sacrifice the design in order to make it LTE compatible so it may be a while before we see this kind of change. There are not a whole lot of area's that even have 4g and the battery life i have heard is horrible.

I know the thunderbolt has awful battery life and its a 4G android. I have read similar statements to the ones posted here. Maybe the iphone 5 will be a 4G. I would think with all the new droids coming out that are 4G that Apple would have to release one to keep up. I'm sure they don't want to fall behind the times an lose a large market share like blackberry has.

I have had several android 4g devices and the best of them all was the bionic I could squeeze a full work day out of it. Let's hope the if and when the 5 comes to light it has lte

there will for sure be more changes making the upgrade worth it! and hopefully a re design