What's new

We May Have to Wait Until iPhone 6 for an LTE 4G iPhone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-iphone4-1.jpg

According to The Street, the iPhone 5, which is expected to be released this summer, will not be LTE 4G. The prediction comes from Telecom Pragmatics analyst Sam Greenholtz, who has apparently spoken to those in the know on the matter. Greenholtz says that LTE 4G won’t come to the iPhone until 2012, and iPhone 6. He adds that the iPhone 6 is currently in development at Apple, and will, as usual, be launched in July. The Street says that it has also had information from several other sources to support Greenholtz’s belief. The Street adds that this delay in implementing the technology will disappoint many of those who were hoping that the Phone 5 would be LTE 4G, especially with Verizon having a faster network that it could immediately take advantage of. It will also leave Apple a little way behind Google Android phones such as those from Motorola, HTC and LG, all of whom are ready to go with 4G LTE Android phones as early as this spring. In fact, The Street says that Verizon will be getting 10 LTE devices this spring.

"I don't think Apple saw this level of hardware competition when they locked in iPhone 5 specs," MKM Partners analyst Tero Kuittinen told The Street.

The forthcoming iPhone 5 is said to be a “world phone” that will work on European networks, Verizon’s 3G network, and AT&T’s HSDPA-Plus network.

Source: Apple Delays 4G LTE iPhone to 2012 - TheStreet

I will predict that to be true all day long. One, LTE isn't prominent enough in the country yet for a strong handset push by Apple. Second, Apple is usually very smart about things like early adoptions and lets other people work through the kinks so they drop in tried and true. Very smart way of doing it.

Yeah I believe it. Anyway LTE is just a gimmick at this point. How many people have access to it now? It won't be till 2012 before there is decent coverage IMO.

Yeah I believe it. Anyway LTE is just a gimmick at this point. How many people have access to it now? It won't be till 2012 before there is decent coverage IMO.
Area wise, very few. Population wise, quite a few.

i'll worry about it when my contract comes up for renewal..

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember someone telling me the Verizon CEO promised LTE on the iPhone 5

I am kinda hoping that is the case. The glass and antenna are pretty stunning when you see it in the show room but its just not practical. Im not even sure about the aluminum. Would be nice if it was like a rubber or something. Not Apple like but its practical. I think thats going to be the biggest improvement. Id look for the dual proc. The screen shouldnt be touched.