What's new

iPhone 5 Said to Have LTE Capabilities

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
8154-iphone-5-thickness.JPG

As far as the iPhone 5 and 4G LTE capabilities are concerned, the “yes it will/no it won’t” rumours have been swirling around for quite some time now, but as Apple gets ready to officially launch the iPhone 5 this Wednesday, The Wall Street Journal writes that it has heard from its sources in the know that the iPhone 5 will indeed work on the fastest LTE networks worldwide, including those in Europe and Asia, although not necessarily working on all carriers in those territories where it will be available. As the WSJ notes, this is a good move for Apple, not just for their customers who want to use the fastest networks available on their shiny new iPhones, but also because it helps Apple keep step with competitors such as Samsung, who are already offering LTE-capable phones. Also good to hear that it will be available right out of the box in international territories, unlike the latest iPad’s LTE functionality, which basically only works in the US at the moment.

Source: New Apple iPhone to Support LTE Around the World - WSJ.com

Well, duh. If it wasn't 4g...epic fail. I would be severely disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Why? I have the iPhone 4S and have never had a problem with speed or data loading.. And I've been streaming lots of stuff. Why do we "need" 4G speeds?

ardchoille said:
Why? I have the iPhone 4S and have never had a problem with speed or data loading.. And I've been streaming lots of stuff. Why do we "need" 4G speeds?

It's not essential. I also don't usually have issues with my iPhone 4. But to stay competitive... People who are on the fence of iPhone and Droid see 4G vs 3G. Might lean to the dark side.

It's not essential. I also don't usually have issues with my iPhone 4. But to stay competitive... People who are on the fence of iPhone and Droid see 4G vs 3G. Might lean to the dark side.

Very good point.

If that's the case... today could turn out to be a real big mess!! :-(
I can't believe Apple didn't see this coming and not have some kind of defense. Somehow I just don't think Apple is worried about Samsung's LTE patents.

I can't believe Apple didn't see this coming and not have some kind of defense. Somehow I just don't think Apple is worried about Samsung's LTE patents.
I have to agree w/ you, Ard. I don't see Apple, having just one the $1 Billion+ lawsuit against Samsung, only to slip up and infringe on Samsung LTE patents.... don't see it happening.

I have to agree w/ you, Ard. I don't see Apple, having just one the $1 Billion+ lawsuit against Samsung, only to slip up and infringe on Samsung LTE patents.... don't see it happening.
Exactly. What could happen? Apple end up telling Samsung "don't bother sending us that $1 billion check".

It wouldn't surprise me if we found out Samsung started this "we'll sue Apple if.." stuff just to try and damage Apple's business.. retaliation for losing the recent lawsuit.

Last edited: