What's new

iPhone 5 jailbreak

Good lord. Ok, whatever. You win. The iphone5 will never be hacked. ;)

I am at a total loss as to why you would post this. My post specifically states the iPhone 5 can be hacked since it is a consumer grade product.

There will always be a new jailbreak for devices, apple will never be able to stop it. It is just a matter of how long it takes to release a new JB.. some times very quickly and others a lot longer then expected

There will always be a new jailbreak for devices, apple will never be able to stop it. It is just a matter of how long it takes to release a new JB.. some times very quickly and others a lot longer then expected

The part of your post that is bolded and underlined is technically incorrect. I can think of several ways to stop jailbreaking off the top of my head and I have been out of the game, so to speak, for at least a decade.

1) They could put the firmware in ROM and run the OS from a split memory system.

The side affect is, no more iOS updates and the OS would be slower because of how it would have to constantly switch from ROM to RAM to run the OS. Only attack vector is a piggy back CPU design.

2) Fully signed firmware.

The side affect is the OS would slow down by an average of 25% to 40% as the system constantly had to scan the signature and hashes across each section of code that is signed. Only attack vector is breaking the hardware that is checking the hash. E-Fused devices at present haven't been broken.

3) Custom one off encryption keys for each iOS device to the core functions that allows super user to exist. This is similar to #2 but removes the need for large signature/hash comparisons at all times.

The problem is Apple would have to deliver each update signed with the specific key for that device or never update the kernel again. Only attack vector is the same as #2.

4) Remove the docking station port and only have a head phone and a very simple phone charging system. IE remove the ability to tap into the phone without pulling the unit apart.

This one would simply create a new cottage industry in hacking cell phones. While it is still possible, it would add a cost that some people may not be willing to pay. Like a new housing to support the modification.

Those 4 ideas took me less than 90 seconds to come up with. And some of you reading this might ask, "Then why aren't cell phones better protected if you can think of solutions"? The answer is again; time, money and hardware. How much is Apple willing to spend to defeat Jailbreaking vs making the device easy for them and the user to maintain over time.

By the way, one last piece of information to chew on. Apple is only interested in security for one reason. To protect their intellectual property rights in the court of law. If they don't make some "effort" to protect their IP, then a judge has the ability say "Apple doesn't care, why should this court". Interesting huh?

Last edited:
All the ramblings are good and valid points but the iphone is still going to be jailbroken. Isn't that what this thread is about? I really stepped in it with you, (apparently LOL), when I said ALL computers can be hacked. I was trying to make a point relating to the iphone5 and this thread. My bad. Sorry to poke the sleeping tiger..lol

So, after all that typing you've done, you DO agree that the iphone5 will be jailbroken, right?

On a side note, you have misspelled the word "Know" in your signature.

(I'm not sure if the punctuation is correct in my signature, by the way. Of course, my Latin is a little rusty.)

All the ramblings are good and valid points but the iphone is still going to be jailbroken. Isn't that what this thread is about? I really stepped in it with you, (apparently LOL), when I said ALL computers can be hacked. I was trying to make a point relating to the iphone5 and this thread. My bad. Sorry to poke the sleeping tiger..lol

So, after all that typing you've done, you DO agree that the iphone5 will be jailbroken, right?

On a side note, you have misspelled the word "Know" in your signature.

(I'm not sure if the punctuation is correct in my signature, by the way. Of course, my Latin is a little rusty.)

I believe I already stated that the iPhone 5 is a commercial grade product and by that fact alone would be jailbroken. And my second long post further points out that Apple could stop it but there is no money in it for them to do it. They simply want to be able to show "they tried" should they ever need to go to court.

And yes I do know about the signature typo, but I felt it was as ironic as the point I was making, so I left it. :)

Launch to be announced 12 sept sales live 19th sept for IP 5 ! In uk!

That is almost funny. Almost. But since this is your one and only post, I am going to go ahead and call shenanigans on it.

The part of your post that is bolded and underlined is technically incorrect. I can think of several ways to stop jailbreaking off the top of my head and I have been out of the game, so to speak, for at least a decade.

Every new device and people worry there wont be a new jailbreak and there always is. But in an extreme measure that I dont see them taking maybe they could... but would they?

1) They could put the firmware in ROM and run the OS from a split memory system.

The side affect is, no more iOS updates and the OS would be slower because of how it would have to constantly switch from ROM to RAM to run the OS. Only attack vector is a piggy back CPU design.

out of the question for apple do make such a move and slow down the devices, they dont allow so much on there already for that reason and if they did that then they may as well allow jailbreaking because jailbraking would slow the device down less ;p

2) Fully signed firmware.

The side affect is the OS would slow down by an average of 25% to 40% as the system constantly had to scan the signature and hashes across each section of code that is signed. Only attack vector is breaking the hardware that is checking the hash. E-Fused devices at present haven't been broken.

that is a huge decrease in speed and will most likely cause a huge amount of problems but again you are right this is a method that COULD be used and you never said they would you just said they technically could.

3) Custom one off encryption keys for each iOS device to the core functions that allows super user to exist. This is similar to #2 but removes the need for large signature/hash comparisons at all times.

The problem is Apple would have to deliver each update signed with the specific key for that device or never update the kernel again. Only attack vector is the same as #2.

I think so far this is the best way out of the three.

4) Remove the docking station port and only have a head phone and a very simple phone charging system. IE remove the ability to tap into the phone without pulling the unit apart.

This one would simply create a new cottage industry in hacking cell phones. While it is still possible, it would add a cost that some people may not be willing to pay. Like a new housing to support the modification.

that not many would

Those 4 ideas took me less than 90 seconds to come up with. And some of you reading this might ask, "Then why aren't cell phones better protected if you can think of solutions"? The answer is again; time, money and hardware. How much is Apple willing to spend to defeat Jailbreaking vs making the device easy for them and the user to maintain over time.

By the way, one last piece of information to chew on. Apple is only interested in security for one reason. To protect their intellectual property rights in the court of law. If they don't make some "effort" to protect their IP, then a judge has the ability say "Apple doesn't care, why should this court". Interesting huh?

Well certain things might hurt their sales like using any mp3 as a ringtone or sending files over bluetooth because people would send mp3s.

well so far all measures taken by apple have failed after 4 years but you never kno what they will come up with next and again the devs will be a step ahead and jailbreak the devices released

well so far all measures taken by apple have failed after 4 years...

Exactly. You just discovered the interesting little secret I have known for years. It isn't in the companies best interest to spend all the time and money to block every avenue. They only spend just enough to plug the holes as they are found so they can show they defended their "Intellectual Property" every chance they had. This about court cases that haven't come to pass yet and the money they stand to make or lose.