What's new

Iphone 4s picture quality with flash in dark

junaid_kazi

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about clicking a picture in dark with flash on, I have taken couple of pictures in dark with flash on but the picture quality sucks, it looks way to blurry, I have even ensured that I am not moving while taking the picture, and it has happened couple of times, so I m not sure whether there is any setting or something I need to change. I tried looking for settings but I couldn't find any option for camera settings, so can someone please tell me where can I find the settings for my camera?

Hi and welcome to the site :)

For the camera you can choose HDR and grid (if using ios5) and also select time for preview of an image once taken but nothing else.

The two areas these are seen is in the camera section itself,choose camera and then options in the top centre of screen and in settings under photos.

Hi,

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

And sorry I forgot to introduce myself, my name is Junaid and I am from UK.

The thing is yesterday it was a party at my house and I was trying to take some pictures in dark but the photo looks blurry or something, if there is an option to attach a file on this thread I can attach that picture and show you what exactly I am trying to mean, and my friend has Samsung Galaxy SII and the picture he took are crystal clear in the dark. I understand the quality might deffer in two phones but atleast it should be a standard picture in dark.

The other problem is with Siri, if I ask Siri I want to eat pizza or locate anything, it says "I can't look for places in UK, sorry." or it says "I can only looks for places, maps etc. in United States." which is really not helpful. :-(

Another problem I found out with Siri is even if your phone is locked with passcode and without unlocking if you use Siri and try to send messages or call or anything else, Siri goes ahead and sends text messages or make calls etc. which shouldn't be allowed as anyone who finds your phone and wants to misuse can easily use your phone even when the phone is locked with passcode.

VTR said:
Hi and welcome to the site :)

For the camera you can choose HDR and grid (if using ios5) and also select time for preview of an image once taken but nothing else.

The two areas these are seen is in the camera section itself,choose camera and then options in the top centre of screen and in settings under photos.

I am having the same problem with the flash, under settings and Photo, the only options I see are:

photo stream (on/off),

Slideshow:
Play each slide :(3 seconds - 20 seconds)
Repeat
Shuffle

HDR
Choose to keep original photo.

On camera:
I see the HDR and grid settings.

Still flash picture awful.

I actually joined this forum to ask about the same thing! My friend took a picture with her iPhone 4 at a party where it was dark and it came out clear but when I took it with my 4s it came out blurry and almost a whitish glaze over the picture. I'm really frustrated because I thought the 4s camera was supposed to take better in the dark pics. Anyone have any suggestions?

Nejnej85 said:
I actually joined this forum to ask about the same thing! My friend took a picture with her iPhone 4 at a party where it was dark and it came out clear but when I took it with my 4s it came out blurry and almost a whitish glaze over the picture. I'm really frustrated because I thought the 4s camera was supposed to take better in the dark pics. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm taking mine to Apple this am at 10:30.

I'm taking mine to Apple this am at 10:30.

Please let us know what happened as even I am very disappointed with the pic quality with flash. Never expected it to be of such a low quality. So, please let me know what they say so that even I will go to apple shop.

Thanks

junaid_kazi said:
Please let us know what happened as even I am very disappointed with the pic quality with flash. Never expected it to be of such a low quality. So, please let me know what they say so that even I will go to apple shop.

Thanks

I left the plastic on the back of the phone and it was covering the lens. Took it off and low light pictures are gr8. Lol can't believe I didn't realize that. !!!

Low light is tough. Even with a real camera. Most "blurry" images are not the fault of the camera, but of the person holding it. The tips below work no matter what camera you are working with.

1. Bring the camera closer to your body - this helps minimize muscle movement caused by holding it so far away.
2. Tuck in your elbows. For the same reason as above.
3. When you go to push the shutter release button, slowly breathe out and when you press, hold your breath for that split second. It will help with keeping things still.
4. Keep in mind, the camera will choose a faster ISO (800 or above) when choosing "Flash." This will cause a grainy effect and a bit more softness in the photo. Unless you have a camera or app that can allow you to force a lower ISO, there is nothing you can do about it.

Remember, there are plenty of examples out there of how well the camera performs. Practice, get to know the limitations. Blurry shots are generally always the fault of the photographer.

well in low light areas the blurryness isnt really blurryness i think. its more that there isnt enough light to actually to get the whole area of the image. now if their was a way to keep the flash on and then be able to take a picture. i think it would help the quality 10 fold

i dont know i still feel like there is a problem. i brought mine to the Verizon store and of course they had no idea what i was talking about. But they are going to send me a brand new one when they get a new shipment in. I just feel like something must be wrong there is no way the quality should be like that on a new phone.

Low light is tough. Even with a real camera. Most "blurry" images are not the fault of the camera, but of the person holding it. The tips below work no matter what camera you are working with.

1. Bring the camera closer to your body - this helps minimize muscle movement caused by holding it so far away.
2. Tuck in your elbows. For the same reason as above.
3. When you go to push the shutter release button, slowly breathe out and when you press, hold your breath for that split second. It will help with keeping things still.
4. Keep in mind, the camera will choose a faster ISO (800 or above) when choosing "Flash." This will cause a grainy effect and a bit more softness in the photo. Unless you have a camera or app that can allow you to force a lower ISO, there is nothing you can do about it.

Remember, there are plenty of examples out there of how well the camera performs. Practice, get to know the limitations. Blurry shots are generally always the fault of the photographer.

Well I totally accept that it depends on the photographer but still as I said before I took pics in dark with flash on my iphone 4s which came blurry and whited out whereas, at the same time i used my friends phone Samsung Galaxy SII and the pics on his phone with flash were clean and clear. And I tried couple of times and it was same all the time so I dont think this is because of photographer.

I have the same "problem". I think the reason is that it doesn't focus fast enough in complete darkness. Try finding a halfway light area and see how it tries to focus onto it. Hopefully this will be sorted with a software update.
Blurry shots are generally always the fault of the photographer.
in this case this is not true btw. Try it out in complete darkness. The flash fires off before the pic is taken but the auto focus isn't fast enough. Sad really since my old Sony Ericsson k800 could cope with this scenario really well.