What's new

IPHone 4s IOS 5.1.1 help needed

marcalhon

Reaction score
HI there, I have a iphone 4S with IOS 5.1.1 on it, with JB, and want to upgrade to the version 6.1, what is the procedure for me to update without having problems? I know that, for know I will not have JB but I do need it at this time

Is this correct? Download the last IPSW for for my iphone (iPhone4,1_6.1_10B142_Restore.ipsw), connect the phone to itunes, turn it to DFU mode and then, hit SHIFT + RESTORE and select the version I download?

Can anyone confirm this please? Thanks in advance to all

Yes, those are the steps.

And, as a "just in case," I'd make a backup in iTunes before doing the upgrade. Always good to make backups. :)

Marilyn

Thanks for your answer, I should get a blank screen on iphone for DFU mode, correct? What if anything goes wrong in this? Does that backup itunes make is enough for restoring iphone

If you manually created a backup by right clicking on your device, then yes, it'll work when you restore it back to your phone.

But ussualy this works, correct? The update using DFU mode?
Thanks for the reply

And one more question, do you think it's a good thing to do, the update?

It works. It's a failsafe way of restoring. If your device is clean simply pressing the Restore button in iTunes will work. I just prefer putting it into DFU mode since it takes 10 seconds and can be done with my eyes closed.

Update if you want. If you want to stay on a clean iOS 6.1, that's fine, not that many changes going from iOS 5 to 6 in my opinion. If you're looking to jailbreak, the next jailbreak supports all released iOS 6 firmwares, meaning 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.1.

Thanks a lot for all of your help?

DO you think will have news shortly about JB on 6.1 for Iphone 4S?

One more thing, while upgrading, it said Unknown error: 3194, what should I do?