What's new

updating ios 5.1 to 5.1.1

Venkat Navaneeth

Reaction score
Help please
i have an iphone 4s (UK, locked to three network) with ios 5.1
itunes 10.6 running on windows 7 x32.

i'm planning to update to 5.1.1 (or if possible downgrade to 5.0.1) so that i can jailbreak.
however when i try to update using the downloaded iphone 4,1 5.1.1 restore.ipsw file using itunes, the process fails and advices me to update to ios6. i also tried using redsn0w, sn0wbreeze and tiny umbrella or even the editing hosts file. but all were of no use.

i have downloaded both files and tried updating using above methods
iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw and
iPhone4,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

I don`t want to update to ios 6 as of now.

Last edited:
5.1.1 is no longer be signed by Apple for installation. So unless you have saved your SHSH blobs while 5.1.1 was being signed, you are stuck on 5.1 if you are unwilling to update to iSO 6.

5.1.1 is no longer be signed by Apple for installation. So unless you have saved your SHSH blobs while 5.1.1 was being signed, you are stuck on 5.1 if you are unwilling to update to iSO 6.
For the most part... this is correct. However, even w/ SHSH's for 5.1.1 saved... updating to 5.1.1 is not possible on the 4S at this time. The only two options he/she has is to restore their current version (iOS 5.1) via redsn0w's "Restore" feature... or to update to iOS 6.0.

For the most part... this is correct. However, even w/ SHSH's for 5.1.1 saved... updating to 5.1.1 is not possible on the 4S at this time. The only two options he/she has is to restore their current version (iOS 5.1) via redsn0w's "Restore" feature... or to update to iOS 6.0.

Do you need to have previously saved the SHSH's or anything else, before restoring to 5.1 via Redsnow on a 4s?

And if you have updated to ios 6.0, is there any way to hacktivate it, to be able to use the phone as an iPod touch?