What's new

Is updating from 5.1 to 5.1.1 currently possible?

cobbljock

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new and this is my first post, so I apologize if I do anything wrong posting-wise. I searched the forum for this topic, but I didn't find anything, but I may have just been not using the right search terms or something.

Anyway, I have an iPhone 4S running 5.1. I would like to update it to 5.1.1 so I can jailbreak it. My problem is that I apparently waited too long and now Apple doesn't authorize the update? I downloaded the ipsw file (I'm almost positive it's the correct one for my phone), but when I try to do the manual update (pressing the option key then clicking on the "Update" button and searching for the ipsw file), it says:

"The iPhone could not be updated. The device isn't eligible for the requested build."

I searched online for a fix for this, but nothing seems to work. I have a MacBook with the current OS updates. I have the latest version of iTunes. I added the "# " in front of the apple.gs.com (or whatever it is, it's something close to that) in my host file. I tried flushing my DNS cache (not sure if that worked or not), and restarted my computer. I still get the same message. TinyUmbrella hasn't really worked for me (but I might be just failing at that).

Could anybody tell me if there's any way for me to update to 5.1.1? As far as I know, there is no way to jailbreak 5.1, and there is no tethered or untethered jailbreak for 6.0.1. I would really like to be able to jailbreak my phone sooner than later, and it seems that a 6.0.1 for 4S is a long way off. If anyone could help me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've lost waaay too many hours of my life trying to do this already, haha. Thanks!

Again, I apologize if I messed up the posting or this is a repeat post. I'm new and it's been a long day for me.

The 5.1.1 window is closed. The only way to perform an upgrade is if you have the blobs for 5.1.1, which requires you to have to saved them using TinyUmbrella if you're on a clean iPhone. I would assume your iPhone was not jailbroken, so the second method isn't applicable. If you didn't save them during the 5.1.1 window, you won't have them, and you won't have them on Cydia's server unless you were jailbroken.

Thanks for the reply. So does this mean I have to wait until there is a 6.0.1 jailbreak for the iPhone 4S? I don't want to update to that until I'm sure I have no jailbreak options. Also, do you have any idea when a 6.0.1 jailbreak for the 4S is due to come out? I havent been able to find anything online.

And yes, I don't have the blobs saved, because I didn't try to jailbreak my phone until about a week or two ago. Darn.

The jailbreak will be released when the DevTeam releases it. There's no word on when it's going to be out but they're working around the developer crack requirement. There's no jailbreak on 5.1 nor is there a jailbreak yet on iOS 6 for the A5+ like the 4S, so either ways your iPhone will still be a stock iPhone.

Thanks, friend. You just saved me from countless more hours trying to figure this out online. There are so many (I'm assuming scams) sites online telling me there is some sort of hope; it's good to have someone who knows about this give me an honest answer. I really appreciate it.

For a more reliable source of the iOS 6 jailbreak release you can follow up on any of the following reputable sources

RedmondPie: Redmond Pie

DevTeam's Blog (recommended): Dev-Team Blog

MuscleNerd's Twitter (recommended): http://twitter.com/musclenerd

Planetbeing's Twitter (recommended): http://twitter.com/planetbeing

iPhoneHacks: iPhone Hacks | iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone Blog

But of course, the very best place to get any updates would be here at iPhone Forum's very own jailbreaking section: iPhone Jailbreaking

cobbljock said:
Hi guys,
I'm new and this is my first post, so I apologize if I do anything wrong posting-wise. I searched the forum for this topic, but I didn't find anything, but I may have just been not using the right search terms or something.

Anyway, I have an iPhone 4S running 5.1. I would like to update it to 5.1.1 so I can jailbreak it. My problem is that I apparently waited too long and now Apple doesn't authorize the update? I downloaded the ipsw file (I'm almost positive it's the correct one for my phone), but when I try to do the manual update (pressing the option key then clicking on the "Update" button and searching for the ipsw file), it says:

"The iPhone could not be updated. The device isn't eligible for the requested build."

I searched online for a fix for this, but nothing seems to work. I have a MacBook with the current OS updates. I have the latest version of iTunes. I added the "# " in front of the apple.gs.com (or whatever it is, it's something close to that) in my host file. I tried flushing my DNS cache (not sure if that worked or not), and restarted my computer. I still get the same message. TinyUmbrella hasn't really worked for me (but I might be just failing at that).

Could anybody tell me if there's any way for me to update to 5.1.1? As far as I know, there is no way to jailbreak 5.1, and there is no tethered or untethered jailbreak for 6.0.1. I would really like to be able to jailbreak my phone sooner than later, and it seems that a 6.0.1 for 4S is a long way off. If anyone could help me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've lost waaay too many hours of my life trying to do this already, haha. Thanks!

Again, I apologize if I messed up the posting or this is a repeat post. I'm new and it's been a long day for me.

Unless you saved the blobs for iOS 5.1.1 when Apple was still signing it, there's no way for you to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, all you can do is upgrade to iOS 6.0.1, and wait for a jailbreak.

Last edited:
Unless you saved the blobs for iOS 5.1.1 when Apple was still signing it, there's no way for you to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1, all you can do is upgrade to iOS 6.1.1, and wait for a jailbreak.