What's new

Iphone 3GS bricked wile trying to un-jailbreak

Deeter

Reaction score
Before i start this post,and clearly i am brand new here, and i did search the forum and tried to find the answer before creating an account and asking (begging) for help. While i am an Android Guy (gmail runs my life, if apple had more integration i would have kept my iphone 4) i still respect apple and think they make great products.

i will give you a quick background to how i got here. I purchased a used iphone3gs 16gb sw 5.1. I planned on using it as an ipod since it integrates with my car. I brought it home, synced it with my compter, named it and all was well. My cousin thought he was doing me a favor by jailbreaking it since i told him he could take it on his business trip. e said he wanted free apps. So once i saw cydia installed and he explained what he did, i told him to undo it. well he tried. and he couldn't figure it out. he left and stuck me with a jailbroken phone that i did not want..... two hours later and a dead battery here is what i know happened, and what i have to proceed...

I have on my pc both the 5.1 and 5.1.1 ipsw files.
I have redsnow 0.9..12b2
i also got Tiny Umbrella

Things i have tried after he tried....

I tried just updating the software (holding shift and selecting the file) but i got the 3194 error through itunes.
i tried unchecking the request shsh from cydia, restarting everything and updating. nogo
did all that again ran TSS server in tiny umbrella. got unknown error 11 i believe in itunes that time
tried updating to 5.1.1 and also got the 3194 error
tried the trick where you change the address inthe host file and do some of the above things, but it never worked.

so i have read about stitching shsh blobs and just trying to naturally restore, but that didnt work since i never did a back up. he literally jailbroke it right after i brought it home...

after trying a few other slight variations of the above (sorry i cant remember everything i tried since i kept trying and reading and watching youtube)

i am stuck on the itunes plug in screen. so i cant get it to boot. i was able to before but now it wont. i tried using the boot method in redsnow, but it seems the phone doesnt go back in to DFU fully? i hope that is correct terminology

sorry for all this rambling. I never wanted to be in this predicament, but such is life. is there anyone that can help me or walk me step by step to getting the phone back to regular 5.1 or even 5.1.1? I don't care to be on ios6 but at this point i will take anything!

Again thank you for all your help. and i did search before posting (rules apply to the android forums as well) so please don't flame me.

thanks!!!!

Last edited:
nevermind, i just figured out what the hell happened. i had downloaded 5.1 but apparently the device had older sw. since everytime i tried to stitch blobs it gave me an error. i used the sw version that tiny umbrella gave me. downloaded the ipsw, stitched the blobs,...now it's updating in itunes. cool beans

spoke too soon.... error 1015 in itunes.... wtf.

Last edited:
Deeter, if the 3GS in question hadn't been Jailbroken until here recently... you're only option will be to update it to iOS 6.0. Other iOS versions; 5.1, 5.1.1, etc, are no longer being signed by Apple. And without SHSHs (Blobs... Apples virtual "Signature") saved, you cannot restore to any of those versions. However, let's rule out the possibilities. Donwload TinyUmbrella from here... The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella and run it to see what SHSHs you have available for your 3GS. Any questions about SHSHs will be answered here... http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i.../shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions-19986/

Thanks for the info! I was actually able to somehow salvage it. When i got the 1015 error, i went through redsnow and did the recovery boot. everything went through but then it said "waiting for iphone" then nothing happened. so i unplugged it and tried to boot the phone and went through. strange.

After i did that i tried to do what you said and just go to ios6, and when i do it tells me that the firmware is corrupted and to try again. this is happening when i try through itunes via download, or holding shift and selecting the ipsw file i found for my phone and ios6. same error each time. so i guess for the time being i am stuck at 4.1. also, when i looked at the available "blobs" for my phone i have 4.1 and 6.0

any ideas on how to get to 6.0 safely? if there isnt any i will just keep it where it is. some games require a higher os version, so since i am stuck on the blob i have i guess there isnt much i can do....

thanks again for the reply

To get to iOS 6 safely, put your device into DFU mode, then shift+click restore and point it to the iOS 6 IPSW on your computer. Make sure Set Host to Cydia is off and all the IP related stuff.

Willerz2 thanks for the info! i tried this way, went in to TU and the set shsh to cydia was off, went in to the host and removed the apple stuff, saved it then stared itunes with the phone in DFU mode. i still got the "the phone could not be restored because the firmware is corrupt, disconnect reconnect then try again....

also, i went in to the apple software folder and deleted the sw updates folder like the apple support page said....

Delete the iOS 6 ipsw you downloaded and download a new ipsw through iTunes. *BEFORE YOU RESTORE CHECK YOUR HOSTS FILE TO SEE THAT #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com has the # sign in front or that ip address is entirely gone* <--- this happens when you open up tiny umbrella (TU automatically changes the hosts file so you always need to check) Once everything is back to normal you can do a DFU restore or try restoring in whatever state your iPhone is in. Restore with the new ipsw you downloaded in iTunes. No shift+restore(win) or option+restore(mac).

that did the trick! thank you so much tortelliniguy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are a savior!