What's new

Downgrading from iOS6 to iOS 5.1.1 on iPad 2 and iPhone 4 issues

MitzEclipse

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have decided to downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 as I need Google Maps back. I have downloaded the respective iOS 5.1.1 .ipsw files and put the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 (both devices never jailbroken) into DFU mode to restore.

In both instances I get this message: the ipad "ipad" could not be restored. this device isn't eligible for the requested build.

I have googled for fixes for this and all sources tell me to edit the hosts file to remove any references to Cydia/etc. I do not have any references to this in my hosts file, in fact I only have one entry which is 127.0.0.1 local host.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to restore from one of the backups I have stored on my macbook, but I could even wipe the devices and start from scratch - although I couldn't even do that right now as I can't get past this issue.

Please help thanks.

I know nothing about this personally so I'm just going to parrot what I already read.

If you didn't save your SHSH blobs while the signing window was open, up to 48 hours after the release of iOS 6, you cannot go back to 5.1.1. The signing window is now closed.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

KevinJS said:
If you didn't save your SHSH blobs while the signing window was open, up to 48 hours after the release of iOS 6, you cannot go back to 5.1.1. The signing window is now closed.

Unfortunately, this is correct. Without the SHSH's there's no way to "sign" the 5.1.1 build on your iPhone or iPad. Sorry...

Ugh. this is really unfortunate. and I can't use someone else's shsh blobs? they're device specific?

my iphone4 is on ios5.1.1 right now
i have all my shsh saved
i was wondering if downgrading from ios6 is any different than before?
so is it risky to install ios6 to check it out and downgrade afterward?
does downgrading work for iphone 4s as well?
---
i have another question but irrelevnt
i didn't want to open a new thread for it
is it piracy if i crack my free apps so i can use it on my another iphone?
or is there a simpler way?

Last edited:
im on ios5.1.1 right now
i have all my shsh saved
i was wondering if downgrading from ios6 is any different than before?
so is it risky to install ios6 to check it out and downgrade afterward?
As long as you're using an iPhone 4 ( as your signature denotes ) you're good to go w/ upgrading... then downgrading if you don't care for iOS 6. Same process as it's always been. The only trick is... you cannot update to iOS 6, yet, and preserve your Baseband. However, if that isn't an issue for you then you're good to go.