What's new

iPhone 4S have Turn-by-Turn Navigation...?

konikub

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is Voice Turn by Turn navigation for the iPhone? The iPhone 4S will be my first iPhone, and coming from the HTC EVO...that is the one thing that I used most on Android (Well it was actually a Sprint app)...I do know that the Sprint iPhone 4S will not carry the Sprint bloatware that came with my EVO, but was wondering if there are any previous iPhone owners that know of an Apple app that has Voice Turn by Turn navigation....? I hate to look at the phone's screen to see where to go next...I like my eyes on the road. I'd prefer to be told where to turn and at what point :)

I use on my Iphone 4 MapQuest for free and has a turn by turn navigation and i i have no problem using it , but if you like to buy a good one from App store i recommend Navigon it's about 45$

About Navigon and data usage Navigon does not use data unless you are using the live traffic option or Google local search. All its map and routing data are stored locally (that's why it is such a huge download). iOS' Location Service uses a small amount of data to speed the initial GPS satellite fix by finding your rough position by cell-tower triangulation. This is what is meant by aGPS. This is really a trivial amount of data, probably not more than checking your email

Last edited:
Hi try the navmii app good turn by turn and has optional speed cams

I use on my Iphone 4 MapQuest for free and has a turn by turn navigation and i i have no problem using it.

I have a Google Maps app that comes with Nav too....does this Mapquest's Turn by Turn Navigation you have for iPhone use voice to tell you where to turn and how far until the next turn?

yes MapQuest will tell you turn by turn voice for free but it will use your data from your plane , if you use Navigon he will use only small amound of your data , navigon it's about 1GB App download from App Store

Awesome...no need to worry about how much data is used....with Sprint it's unlimited. Two months ago I had an all time high of 15GB of data used in one month...watched a TON of Netflix and YouTube (I was out in the boon-docks with no TV). It was my usual monthly bill of $69 dollars (not including my company discount of 27%) :)

konikub said:
Awesome...no need to worry about how much data is used....with Sprint it's unlimited. Two months ago I had an all time high of 15GB of data used in one month...watched a TON of Netflix and YouTube (I was out in the boon-docks with no TV). It was my usual monthly bill of $69 dollars (not including my company discount of 27%) :)

That's great. Wish sprint offered faster download speeds. I read a article last night on Mashable and they say Verizon and Sprint offer the slowest download and upload speed. If it wasn't for the complete unlimited i would go with AT&T

iCrank said:
I read a article last night on Mashable and they say Verizon and Sprint offer the slowest download and upload speed. If it wasn't for the complete unlimited i would go with AT&T

Hmmmm. I was about to go with Sprint but Verizon put me on a 'customer loyalty' plan for $30. That and the godfathered unlimited data for $30 should work well for me financially. It is a shame that their data speed sucks.

FYI OP Sprint's website say the 4S will have turn by turn I thought I read.

Beryl said:
Hmmmm. I was about to go with Sprint but Verizon put me on a 'customer loyalty' plan for $30. That and the godfathered unlimited data for $30 should work well for me financially. It is a shame that their data speed sucks.

True.

They might not be as fast as the others...but I can watch movies and YouTube vids without having it constantly buffer...so that's all I care about, perfectly smooth. If it takes me a minute or two more to download a song, then so be it (for saving a ton of money a year). I eat alot of DATA and can not be capped....lol. Plus the network is slowly getting better and faster with time....there are plans in the works for a much better network :)

Let's see... AT&T lasted about 3 years with the iPhone before it had to cap it's data plan. Verizon lasted about 8 months then had to cap their data plan. Let's see how long Sprint last.

Jerry


AT&T is faster, but has much higher latency than Verizon (can't speak for Sprint). I much prefer Verizon (at least in my area, where AT&T is strong fwiw) b/c it's steady and consistent... and works in a lot of places AT&T doesn't as well (i.e., in my office building! ;)).

edit: the latency issue could be due to the fact that the DFW area, while strong, is pretty high traffic

The rumor was the 4S would have a native GPS map app with voice but it didn't happen. Like other here I recommend Navigon. Sometimes you can get it on sale. Also your can buy specific areas for less than the whole thing. I just have the western US on mine. I am hoping it has a better GPS chip-set. The 4 has a okay one but it could be a bit more accurate. I'm wondering if the new dual antenna set up will improve the GPS signal as well.

As far as carrier speed I have to say my iPhone 4 with AT&T blew away my friends Verizon iPhone 4 on side by side page loads and video buffering. I am so glad I got the unlimited plan when AT&T still had it. I have heard people say Verizon is better for not dropping calls but AT&T is better at data speed.

Thanks for the question.. I was wondering the same thing and I downloaded the map quest app and it seems to be ok.. Just curious how hot it will make the phone or drain the battery.