What's new

GPS navigation apps mapquest + vz navigator no voice just turn by turn

rz1161

Reaction score
When I use mapquest or vz navigator there is no sound giving me the directions. It works sporadically. During the 3 weeks of owning the iPhone 4S the navigations app's voice has never worked consistently. I called apple and they told me that mapquest and vz navigator are still in beta version and have not updated their app from the new iPhone 5.1.1 update. I really not convinced this is the case. I believe there is an internal flaw with the way the iPhone OS intreprets the voice part of the navigation apps. Or is this just a problem with the iPhone 4S not the 4. Has anyone else experienced this problem.

I made an appt with the genius bar. Hopefully they can help or give me a new phone. Thanks

I'm not sure about those two apps - since I switched to the iphone I found out VERY quickly that one of the iPhone's main flaws is navigation. Lets be honest - it pretty much sucks at it. I think most people here would agree that Android phones (at least out of the box) have the iphone beat pretty soundly in this department.

With that said, I did try out several apps, but I wasn't willing to pay some of the ridiculous prices for apps in the app store - I had just switched from Android phones where they CAME with an absolutely killer navigation system for free. I eventually stumbled on an app called "Waze" that has me completely satisfied. It's free. It gives turn by turn voice navigation WITH STREET NAMES, and even gives voice warnings for road hazards and police and such.

Some people don't like it cause they think it's a bit on the "cutsey" side - and I gotta admit, it is. But, for me, it gets the job done.

Take care,
Rob

yeah Rob I definitely agree with you. Google Maps is the best navigation app. Its so precise, accurate and reliable. I hope in the future google maps will come to iphone. For now I just use VZ navigator. Mapquest is garbage. Horrible GUI, inaccurate and no automatic reroute. I haven't looked at the garmin app or tomtom but reading the reviews they don't seem to far off from the quality of a low end basic nav app. I haven't put vz nav to the ultimate test but now that i got my replacement phone I'm taking a two hour trip to PA so I hope it produces great results.

Thanks for the Waze nav recommendation. I recently checked out this app today and correct me if I'm wrong but Waze is geared more towards location social networking and not focused so much on precise directions and quality GPS capabilities.

Thanks
Ron

Waze, in my opinion, is a perfect replacement for VZ Navigator. It has a definate social aspect to it, but that's more
about reporting accidents and such - not really chatting. This is not Facebook while driving or anything like that. It will get ya where ya wanna go, and will even help you avoid traffic jams and such.

I'm sure there are others - Waze isn't the only game in town... But it works great and is very precise!

Take care,
Rob

Does Siri provide voice turn by turn directions? The last time I opened Siri and asked "how do I get home" she provided a map with three different routes and directions. I'm hearing impaired so I'm not sure of Siri does voice on the turn by turn directions. I don't even bother with navigation apps anymore since Siri seems to be able to do it.

I love the stock android navigation app but mapquest works great for me on the iphone.

If google maps for iphone just oriented to the direction you are going it would be good enough for me but dang I have to calibrate like every 2 min after tapping the location icon.