What's new

iPhone 4 unlock to Activate

ezlow

Reaction score
Hello forum!

So I have put myself in a tricky situation. I got an iphone 4 some time ago and it was bought in france, so it was locked to Orange France. I live in Portugal so I had to unlock it, wich I did using a GEVEY card. Everything was fine until stupid me decided to upgrade to iOS 6. So my GEVEY stopped working, and now I want to buy a factory IMEI unlock just to end all this troubles.

So before I buy the imei unlock, I decided to do a factory restore just to be sure. Connected to iTunes, restored, installed the latest firmware, all was going smoothly, until I discover that after that, I need to activate the iPhone with a SIM card from the original network (Orange France) wich I obviously dont have.

My question is: Can I buy a IMEI unlock from a legit website, and when the unlock is done I can activate my iPhone without trouble (buying an IMEI unlock for a non-activated iPhone), or should I somehow activate it first?

Thanks in advance!

Usually it shouldn't be a problem, but you'd have to make sure the IMEI has been processed. You can, however, "bypass" the activation screen for your device but it requires a jailbreak to do so. If you're not in a hurry to use your phone, you can wait for the IMEI unlock to process. If you'd like to have something more than a paperweight until you've purchased or until it's processed, you can jailbreak the device to hacktivate it until it's gone through.

Thanks for the response. Well i guess I'll give it a go then, I have no hurries at all so i'll just buy the unlock and when i recieve the email confirmation i'll try activate it then with my sim. If this doesnt work then i'll "hacktivate" it, i was just worried that since the phone isnt activated, they couldnt somehow unlock it or something.. But i have been googling for a while and i havent found anything in concrete...

You can unlock a deactivated device. They require your ESN and IMEI or just just IMEI to add to the whitelist and yore good to go. Usually it shouldn't take more than 2 days unless it's an iPhone 5 on tricky networks. Usually its done within 12 hours

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk