What's new

iphone 4 iOS 4.2 battery life

jchangyy

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Tried searching for anyone else who has similar problems.

My problem: Just downloaded iOS 4.2 for my iphone 4 yesterday, and downloaded findmyiphone app as well. Charged my phone to 100% this morning and started my day by 7AM. Usually, my phone, under normal use, lasts 2 days before needing a charge. however, by 10AM this morning (just 3 hrs later), my battery life indicator went from 100% to 44%. Never happened before. DID NOT have any programs open, DID not use GPS, did not use it AT ALL except for 2 calls, each lasting 2 minutes. I just manually shut off findmyiphone app, as I'm suspecting that it may have been running in the backgroud, but the GPS sign did not come up at all.

Any explanation would be helpful...

thanks in advance.

Jin

Try to calibrate battery on your iPhone..

Use it normally and don't charge until you got 20% or left message and charge it until it full

It turns out, once I turned off Findmyiphone app, my battery life behaves normally. Went from 44% at noon, to 33% at 10PM with light/normal use.

For anyone out there with findmyiphone app, be sure that your program is off after you download.

It turns out, once I turned off Findmyiphone app, my battery life behaves normally. Went from 44% at noon, to 33% at 10PM with light/normal use.

For anyone out there with findmyiphone app, be sure that your program is off after you download.

Won't turning off find my iPhone defeat the purpose of the app? Doesnt it have to be on to be able to find your iPhone?

Hey OP. I updated to 4.2 and got the app findmyphone. I charged it to 100% played with the phone for 15min or so. Left the app on in the back ground. I didnt talk on the phone tho after i left it. So 5 hours+ since and the battery is still at 100%
Dont think its the app that cause ur battery to die faster

Hmm..
that's not good for me. I didn't have any other apps running in the background. Good to know that your phone did not lose battery life with findmyiphone app running.

will need to do more investigating on my iphone.

thanks for the info.

jin

Same problem here on battery life after ios 4.2, up at 7am, normal use, not heavy, battery at 25% by 3pm, much worse than normal! :(

I charged it to 100%. Used it a bit and left it on before going to bed last night. This morning, after 9 hours, it is at 98%. I have wifi on, airplane mode, and findmyiphone on (but I made sure I removed it from multi task). I tested findmyiphone and it works. So, findmyiphone does not drain my battery.

I also have this problem. Dramatic battery usage difference. Once I noticed it, I closed down all my multitasked apps, and barely used the phone all day, but it kept on draining. Tomorrow, I'll try turning off the findmyphone in the mobileme settings.

and i was just about to start a thread boasting how good my battery has been after the update

Yeah. Its been over a week now and battery doing good. It does seem like the update helped out. I've asked my friends that updated but they don't notice any change. So who knows may be battery is the same and it's all just mental.

Hi All,

I seem to be getting MUCH better battery life since updating to iOS4.2.1! After 2.5 days of normal use, I still have 50% left!

Apparently, according to information elswhere on the internet, after any software update from Apple there are battery problems, but doing a hard reset seems to sort it out - it is due to corrupt temporary files or something. If might be worth you trying it (Hold home key and power simultaneosly until the Apple logo shows, ignore the swipe to shutdown option).

Worth a try?

Gareth

... but doing a hard reset seems to sort it out...

I'll try the hard reset for today -- I haven't done one in a long time. Yesterday (with findmyphone OFF in the mobileme account) seemed better for battery usage than my first day, but still not what it used to be.

Count me as another user with severe battery problems with iOS4.2. Happy with battery previously, and since "upgrading" to 4.2 I'm getting 5 hours per charge - seriously. Unplugged my phone at 4 pm yesterday, and by 11 it was down to less than 10% - and spent most of that time in my pocket. I've turned off all services - including the "find my phone" app that was the main attraction, and it still sucked power. I've tried to "restore" using iTunes and it persists. Just put in a service request to Apple. P-O'ed.