What's new

iphone 4 iOS 4.2 battery life

SUCCESS!!!

The HARD RESET has had dramatic effects. My battery performance is now better than it was before the upgrade, even with FindMyPhone on. The hard reset, rather than just shutting down and starting up was the answer.

To do the hard reset (it should take longer to start up than usual):
Hold home key and power simultaneously until the Apple logo shows, ignore the swipe-to-shutdown option.

Last edited:
Same problems with the battery life, but I think it is after I downloaded the Find my iPhone app. I tried a hard reset to see if that works, if that doesn't I will turn off the Find my iPhone app in Mobile Me.

Slightly off topic but battery life appears to be the weak part of this iphone 4,I look forward to finding a suitable battery backup appliance for this phone.
cheers

Are there genric replacement batteries that have more capacity than the OEM? I've seen video on how to replace the battery, seems easy enough.

The battery has been weird for me too since upgrading, I'm going to try the reset right now and will let you all know what happens. :)

Bruce and 5er,
Your best bet is a USB charger. I have this one, but I've never needed it except on an overnight trip.

I'm definitely NOT a power user, and I was able to get as many as 13 days of usage on a charge, almost always at least a week. Since the update (and no FindMyiPhone app) my battery has not made it a full two days yet (and the last two days I didn't even use it). If I turn it off at 9:30 PM to go to sleep and it is 50%, it is dead by the time I get up at 7:00 AM. I have tried the hard reset.

SUCCESS!!!

The HARD RESET has had dramatic effects. My battery performance is now better than it was before the upgrade, even with FindMyPhone on. The hard reset, rather than just shutting down and starting up was the answer.

To do the hard reset (it should take longer to start up than usual):
Hold home key and power simultaneously until the Apple logo shows, ignore the swipe-to-shutdown option.

Glad the Reset worked for you. Did you notice any differences -- running apps, data services, etc. -- after you accomplished the Reset? What do YOU think the hard reset accomplished in terms of phone functionality? Surely there's something noticeable. Thanks.

i jus bought my iphone 4 a week ago... and was already pre loaded 4.2.1 and install find my iphone app... works fine with me till now...

ace - you might try another 1 or 2 hard resets. I wasn't 100% sure it was better after the first one i did, so i did it twice more. After that I was sure.

EWyatt - I don't recall any real functionality or performance effects of doing the hard reset aside from much better battery life.

i jus bought my iphone 4 a week ago... and was already pre loaded 4.2.1 and install find my iphone app... works fine with me till now...

xiaoheng......... what do you mean that your phone worked fine "till now?" Did you have a problem??

ace - you might try another 1 or 2 hard resets. I wasn't 100% sure it was better after the first one i did, so i did it twice more. After that I was sure.

EWyatt - I don't recall any real functionality or performance effects of doing the hard reset aside from much better battery life.

why we need more than one hard reset? any explanations about it?

Thanks for the tip, but it seems not to have worked. I took my phone in and they gave me a new one that came only with OS 4.1. I updated it to 4.2.1, did NOT get the Find My Phone app (don't need it), and my battery problem is just the same as it was.

Before all this I was the lightest of phone users, minimizing usage of apps to extend battery life, low
brightness, everything OFF, even WIFI, no Location
Services. I used to make maybe three short calls per day, very little texting (like one a day). Before I updated my phone to OS 4.2.1, I could easily average a week before charging, once going 13 days! Overnight I would see no battery decrease at all. On light usage days (most of them) my percentage would only drop from, say, 95% to 90%.

Now, with 4.2.1, my phone went from 70% last night before bedtime to 57% when I woke up. I haven't used it all day and it is now 15% (42% down in 9 hours of NOT using it). I continue to close all the multitasking apps although the only app I use anymore is the battery log application to see how the battery is, and that is pretty depressing. On the few days I tried to use the phone, the battery log app shows a vertical line STRAIGHT DOWN. If I was a serious user of the phone, I'd have to charge it twice or three times a day.

I've done the hard resets a bunch of times, continue to have everything off, and the brightness all the way down. My phone is now giving me about 15% of the battery performance it did when new. I think it is the result of the 4.2.1 upgrade because that is when it started. My iPhone 4 is now essentially no more than a battery meter. I hate it when I get calls because I know how quickly the battery is draining. I will continue to watch it, but it looks like a trip back to the Genius Bar is in my future (and that had no effect the last time).

Update:

I performed another two hard resets, after already doing a bunch of them, and got results. After two days of admittedly minimal use, the battery level is 82%, roughly the kind of performance I had grown used to before the OS 4.2.1 update. Whether this will continue is in question, but so far so good.

OMG, ace! You got a 4.1 iPhone and immediately upgraded to 4.2.1 without determining if 4.1 would have solved your problem?? Grrrrrr..... 4.1 rules, in my humble opinion, and you should have tried it for a while.

Or did I miss something in your message?