What's new

iPhone 4 Battery Last Longer

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
battery-life.jpg

And now some good news, about nothing at all to do with signal bars and what not! Macworld reports today that the iPhone 4 really does have a longer battery life than previous models, at least according to their tests. Using an iPhone 4 and a year-old 32GB iPhone 3GS, Macworld compared how they performed on a series of different tasks, with their findings showing that the iPhone 4 battery lasts "an appreciably longer time."

After doing everything they could to drain the batteries, such as turning the brightness up as high as possible, downloading a movie over Wi-Fi, running Pandora at the same time as surfing the net, they found that after such rigorous testing, the iPhone 4's battery did indeed last approximately 1 hour longer than the 3GS, just as Apple had claimed.

They also ran another test using FaceTime and iMovie, capturing and viewing 25 minutes of HD video and making 34 minutes of FaceTime calls, and found that the iPhone 4 could keep going for 2 hours and 21 minutes. Interesting stuff.

Source: Macworld

I can back those claims, but it would have made more sense to use a new out of the box 3GS vs a 4 because with time any battery is going to degrade and hold less of a charge not to mention how many charges did the 3GS battery already have on it?

In my own testing (Read. normal everyday use) my 4 definatly last's longer.

Hi

I picked mine up yesterday so was using it from noon onwards. Exactly the same kind of use I used my 3GS for and I can see no more real life. It was only moderate use aswell. I heard that the IP4 battery was substantially better because of the smaller processor and micro sim they could do more with it. but to be honest, through a days use it pretty much nearly all drained at the same rate as my 3GS? Hopefully it will get better after a few cycles?

Iphone 4 battery is off the hook. I charge it fully and do not recharge it until the next day roughly 28hours later. I'm constantly texting and using the wifi at school and it lasts a long time...

The 4's battery is waaaay better than my 3GS! Even after I had apple replace my 3GS after a year because of batter issues.

Thanks for the last 2 responses guys

SJ-CALI. Perhaps we have different ideas of what off the hook battery life is, and what a "substantially better battery" should be. You see, I was getting a good 22-26 hours out of my 3GS. So I am getting maybe the same or a couple of hours more with the IP4. I guess the disappointment comes in when Apple said it was a substantially better battery I would interpret that as being more than a couple of hours. Just a couple of hours I would call marginally better, however if substantially better I would expect at least a 25-30% gain from what I have read. So perhaps it is hype that dampens my illusions but lets see if it gets better after a few full charge cycles.

DannyBoy. Can you give me some time scales/examples on your experience please on why you say your IP4 is way better than your 3GS?

Thanks

mine seems to run out after 5 seconds.. or what feels like 5 seconds. bluetooth and wifi off 3g and everything else on

mine seems to run out after 5 seconds.. or what feels like 5 seconds. bluetooth and wifi off 3g and everything else on

Lol, I always have my Wifi on cause I don't have the unlimited data so when ever I can use it free I do...

I still get good life

Lol, I always have my Wifi on cause I don't have the unlimited data so when ever I can use it free I do...

I still get good life

Yeh I used to have 3G off and only wifi but I have unlimited 3G for £10 a month so I stick to the 3G unless I need to download large files from app store it does not let me dl files over 20mb on 3g

I still get good life

Yeh I used to have 3G off and only wifi but I have unlimited 3G for £10 a month so I stick to the 3G unless I need to download large files from app store it does not let me dl files over 20mb on 3g

gotcha....:D

Mines seem to last just a tad longer then the 3GS. Thought it was a substantially better but just a little disappointed.

Check out my screen shot this is the best battery life I have got! Another thing is that I still have 30% left on the battery....

Stand by is 1 day and 17 hours, I'm constantly texting and using wifi....
IPHONESCREENSHOT.png

Last edited:
can any one recomend the ebst settings to have for maximum battery? like what features drain the most battery?? i know brighter screen does it, i have mine set very low but other then that my battery drains so fast like barely touching it after 10 minutes from 100 its on 97%, i knew i should of charged it when they delivered it instead of using it heavily for hours lol