What's new

iPhone 4 backlight fault: It died completely

technoholicjakk

Reaction score
On the 24th of July I got a brand spanking new iPhone 4 from Phones 4 U on Vodafone to use( i'm in the UK), primarily, as a business tool. On the 1st of August however, I woke up to my beloved mobile phone appearing to not respond to any gesture and it seemed to have packed itself in. Whilst trying to figure out the problem I drew attention to the screen – which there I saw (when the iPhone 4 is held at an angle under a light) the clock time and the unlock button, all very dim which told me it was a backlight fault.

Seeming as this was a Sunday, and I needed the iPhone for work the next day, I decided to just take it into my nearest Apple store (which is in Sheffield, Meadowhall) and get it checked out. Upon arrivial, I was greeted by a friendly chap in his bright blue Genius-esque t-shirt, who took my iPhone and seemed to give me a rather priority based appointment (despite the place being packed). I waited twenty minutes in line.

After twenty minutes an Apple Genius called Dave took my iPhone 4 from my hands and was shocked at the state of the iPhone’s screen – the backlight was completely dead. He carried out his diagnostics however, despite the problem being evident, and came to me and said he would replace it with a new one. There is no surprise there though, as Apple’s instore customer service has always been envied by other manufacturers.
He told me that he had never encountered this problem – and that even know issues have known issues, but this is the first time he has seen an iPhone 4′s backlight completely die overnight.

Anyway, if you happen to experience a similar problem, the thing to do is just take it to an Apple store < to which they will replace it for you
icon_smile.gif
. Has anybody else experienced any similar iPhone 4 problems or faults?

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever heard of such a problem after one day. It must be a manufacturing defect or something. Glad to hear that Apple took care of your problem.

Apple is VERY good at this type of thing in my opinion - replacing faulty products of theirs no questions ask. It reminds me almost of microsoft's approach to the xbox 360 red ring fiasco.

My brand new iPhone 4 just died today. Got it on August 12 and we're the 14. I plugged it in the sync-dock and it didn't come-up on iTunes. A pop-up bubble on the PC told me the driver for the device didn't load (strange). I pulled it out of the sync and it's now dead. Looked for some assistance and got here. Guess I'll have to bring it in the Apple store as well.

Looks like it has crashed. A soft/hard reset helped. Hope this link helps someone with a similar problem. (sorry about not starting a new thread.)

www(dot)logicclub(dot)com/how-to-hard-and-soft-reset-iphone-4

There is a video on youtube that helps with the fault, you can search 'Iphone 4 backlight retina display fix.'

AdrianWoodward said:
There is a video on youtube that helps with the fault, you can search 'Iphone 4 backlight retina display fix.'

This is a year old thread.

my god, i haven't heard this problem before...this will make me more worried about iPhone 5

my god, i haven't heard this problem before...this will make me more worried about iPhone 5

Ok. I am game. Why on earth would you be worried about a ONE OFF problem that is over a year old? Seriously what make you even remotely think this would affect the iPhone 4S/5 in any way, shape or form?

Last edited:
i've had my iphone 4 now for 6 months. Its been great. I love it! But recently a strange liquid has been oozing out from the ear phone socket!!! Don't know what it is. Has anyone else had this problem. Any help please?

i've had my iphone 4 now for 6 months. Its been great. I love it! But recently a strange liquid has been oozing out from the ear phone socket!!! Don't know what it is. Has anyone else had this problem. Any help please?

You might want to start your own thread since this one is dealing with a screen issue.

robo2020 said:

It's the coffee making app/function