What's new

Backlight issue

bentol888

Reaction score
Im wondering if anybody else is having an issue with the backlight going from bright to dim and then back to bright instead of sleep. I gave my first phone back last week because of it and they gave me a brand new phone only to have the exact same problem with the new one. Its driving me absolutely insane! Is this a bug of some sort?? It only happens about 30% of the time but in speaking to other iphone 4 owners, none have experienced this problem.

Please, somebody, anybody reasure me that I'm not going out of my mind.....

The display will dim after a bit if you don't lock your phone to conserve battery.

its not really a problem with the phone just set the phone to auto lock after x amount of time if you want it to sleep

Yeah.. tried that. First thing I did actually. Still doing it. Its probably nothing. I figure I'll just put it to sleep myself instead of waiting for it to dim and sleep on its own. Out of sight, out of mind, I suppose. I was just curious to see if anyone else has the problem. Everything else on the device works perfect.

You didn't used to have a 3g/s and are restoring from a backup are you...?

when it goes back to bright do you have the device in your hand? do you move it? because when it dims once you touch it it will go bright again

gaz- No, this is my very first iphone. Had a crappy Instinct previously so no restore.

paliomentoxo- Unfortunately no. I'll put the device down on my coffee table and see it spring back to life.

All my life, I've recieved defective (possesed) electronic devices though. Went through 3 Instincts before getting one that worked, my Samsung LCD tv's motherboard died within 9 months of purchase, my HP pc has never worked right since we bought it, ATTuverse workers are at my house at least 4 times a year fixing my cable reception, and, every December, I can never get my outdoor Christmas light on with the first try. Believe it or not, I even had to return a brand new Jeep Wrangler last year because of a faulty transmisson!! Dealership switched it out for another one on the lot and told me that that was the first time they have ever had to do that. Just par for the course, I guess....

Jeez... Lol. I thought I was bad. I went through 7 or 8 3GS's in the 12 months I had them. I would still be going through them if the iPhone 4 hadn't came out.

As for the phone, mines doesnt even go dim, but I have auto brightness on. Does it only happen when you put it down? What happens if you just hold it?

I loved my old 3G. It had been through so much but just kept going. I dropped it so many times I lost count. Eventually the screen cracked like a spider web. I got it replaced only for a couple months later for it to fall out! The home button wires snapped in the process so stopped working. I ended up sticking it back in with blutack and never had a problem with it since. The wifi didn't work but it didnt bother me because I always had a great 3G signal. It also overheated when I used the Internet tethering so it was kept in the fridge. Lol. I traded it in for a 3GS on a deal for £150. Big mistake. The 3GS could never keep a signal for more than 5mins. I still miss my 3G. Never had to worry about breaking it! Lol...

When I first noticed it happening, I experimented with all sorts of scenarios. Holding it, laying it on the table, auto bright on, off, etc..
It would still happen 3 out of 10 or so times. It doesnt really does'nt bother me anymore since now instead of waiting for it to infuriate me by not sleeping on its own, I just put it to sleep manually on my own. I also decided to turn the auto bright off permanently because it would adjust randomly and it got kind of annoying. My wife's phone works perfect and she keeps saying its because she has the 32 and I the 16. Other than that, I love this damn iphone!