What's new

IPhone 4 and absinthe 2.0.2 or .4 problem ...

Raven2490

Reaction score
Everytime I try and jailbrak an iphone 4 with 5.1.1 it stops responding in middle of jailbreak. 2 different computers, same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
thanks in advance :)

Make sure you do a backup first

Do a restore using a downloaded copy of the 5.1.1 ios and setup as new. Hit shift button and then locate the file and use it.

Then jailbreak the phone with absinthe 2.0.4 which is the latest version.

If it keeps up the "Not responding" issue then delete Absinthe and all it's files.

Download the latest always from the official greenpois0n website: greenpois0n.com/

Make sure you download it from Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Not Internet Explorer.

It is best to download from a different browser from which you used the first time, or from a guest account on your computer. I don't know why that makes it work...but it does.

Save Absinthe to your desktop...double click and wait for it extract the Absinthe folder.

Now open the Absinthe folder

Right click on Absinthe.exe and click "Run as administrator".

If there is a blue and yelled shield symbol on the Absinthe.exe file...then permissions are already set to run as administrator.

But basically XamDam is right...if the jailbreak process just stops in the middle of the jailbreak then you should restore "setup as new". The jailbreak.

But DO NOT restore from the latest backup...assuming that the last time iTunes backed up your phone...your phone was half jailbroken..and you do not want to restore from that backup.

Choose an older backup files...from a different date...or better yet....just don't restore from backup at all..and start from scratch.

That is the best way to do it...but most people prefer to restore a backup.

I personally do not restore from a backup...and never will. I backup all my data my own way..and I do much better then iTunes IMO.

It is best to download from a different browser from which you used the first time, or from a guest account on your computer. I don't know why that makes it work...but it does.

It is due to "caching" of the website data by the browser. So if you clear the cache or do as you suggested (same net effect) it cause the file to download as a new file.

Interesting.

I'll give that a try. Haven't had that problem with jailbreak tools in a while...but when/if I do I clear the cache.

If I do that will I be able to recover my pics and stuff?

Raven2490 said:
Sorry, do a restore with a new back up.

Restoring to any backup will also restore any pictures that were on the device when that particular backup was created. That is the purpose of backups.

If you have Photo Stream enabled then you would still get your pictures whether you restored from backup or not.

Basically anything toggled on in Settings> iCloud> will be restored back to your device even if you "do not" restore from a backup.

Do a full restore on iTunes before u jailbreak it and that should work

SOLVED ! Problem was that I hadn't reset and erased all data on the phone before starting the jailbreak. Didn't see it on the tutorial to do that. When I did my 4S, I didn't reset and it went thru without a problem.

Thanks for the replies and help. Have a great day :)