What's new

ipad3 announced

The site was working today and I was not sure if I even wanted the new ipad what I would use it for.. am going to hold off buying the ipad.. might just stick with iphones

So are we to just call this thing "the new iPad"? It seems Apple saw the debate over iPad 3 and iPad HD and just said haha "neither".

So are we to just call this thing "the new iPad"? It seems Apple saw the debate over iPad 3 and iPad HD and just said haha "neither".
I think it will still be referred to as ipad3 though.

I think it will still be referred to as ipad3 though.

I think so too.. did you pre order? the shipping date is now the 19th march.. I have not pre ordered as I dont think I will use it much as well as there not even being LTE in the uk yet.

but Chris pirillo mentioned that you dont call the imac "imac 3" or the computers so apple are going with the new ipad but it seems like the ipad 3 is the S to the ipads.. but it looks good minus it not having siri or a 128GB model.

I think so too.. did you pre order? the shipping date is now the 19th march.. I have not pre ordered as I dont think I will use it much as well as there not even being LTE in the uk yet.

but Chris pirillo mentioned that you dont call the imac "imac 3" or the computers so apple are going with the new ipad but it seems like the ipad 3 is the S to the ipads.. but it looks good minus it not having siri or a 128GB model.
Im going to stick with my ipad2,it does everything i want,i will most likely change up with the next model :)

As I knew would be the case, and in keeping with protocols from the past - the "pre-orders" of the new iPad will ship on 3/19 - three days after the release in the stores. People who wait in line at a store - are always the first to get their hands on new product. I think that's the fairest way to do it. I once thought "pre-order" would be beating the system - that I wouldn't have to stand in a nasty line and still get my product the same day as people who stood in the lines. But Apple's doing it a "fair way". If you want your hot little hands on the new product - you have to wait in line with the rest of us. :)

And as of today - preorders are sold out. No more available.

pianoman said:
As I knew would be the case, and in keeping with protocols from the past - the "pre-orders" of the new iPad will ship on 3/19 - three days after the release in the stores. People who wait in line at a store - are always the first to get their hands on new product. I think that's the fairest way to do it. I once thought "pre-order" would be beating the system - that I wouldn't have to stand in a nasty line and still get my product the same day as people who stood in the lines. But Apple's doing it a "fair way". If you want your hot little hands on the new product - you have to wait in line with the rest of us. :)

I pre ordered mine when announced and my due delivery date is the 16th

pianoman said:

I don't know where you got your info but it is very bad and beyond inaccurate.

1) Preorders where sold out 47 hours after order entry went online.

2) All pre-orders ordered in that 47 hours are being delivered on the 16th.

I know that for a fact. I have my FedEx tracking number and mine is already staged in Nashville TN. It will be at my office by 3pm.

Now the next wave is slated for the 19th. After that it is anyone's guess.

I don't know where you got your info but it is very bad and beyond inaccurate.

1) Preorders where sold out 47 hours after order entry went online.

2) All pre-orders ordered in that 47 hours are being delivered on the 16th.

I know that for a fact. I have my FedEx tracking number and mine is already staged in Nashville TN. It will be at my office by 3pm.

Now the next wave is slated for the 19th. After that it is anyone's guess.
All news services reported tonight - ALL preorders ship the 19th, Skull. Do you really have a tracking number? I hope you get it. Apple's never delivered a single preorder in 5 years before the stores sold their first ones. Never once. This would be the first time. Please let us know the moment yours arrives. I stopped doing preorder two iPhone cycles ago because it never arrived the day of the store availability folks getting theirs. I wish I could trust it again. The whole idea of preordering is precisely to not have to wait in lines. But Apple's seemed to prefer their stores first. Kind of like a sports event being blacked out on TV until a certain amount of actual tickets are sold for the live game. If u have a tracking number showing a 3/16 delivery date - that's amazing and hopeful news - though it doesn't usually take Apple 5 days to ship it. I always got mine 2 days max from ship date.

Here's to hoping!

pianoman said:
All news services reported tonight - ALL preorders ship the 19th, Skull. Do you really have a tracking number? I hope you get it. Apple's never delivered a single preorder in 5 years before the stores sold their first ones. Never once. This would be the first time. Please let us know the moment yours arrives. I stopped doing preorder two iPhone cycles ago because it never arrived the day of the store availability folks getting theirs. I wish I could trust it again. The whole idea of preordering is precisely to not have to wait in lines. But Apple's seemed to prefer their stores first. Kind of like a sports event being blacked out on TV until a certain amount of actual tickets are sold for the live game. If u have a tracking number showing a 3/16 delivery date - that's amazing and hopeful news - though it doesn't usually take Apple 5 days to ship it. I always got mine 2 days max from ship date.

Here's to hoping!

I got my iPhone 4S on launch day as a preorder. And the news services said that all preorders were sold out and that NEW orders would ship starting on the 19th.

I got my iPhone 4S on launch day as a preorder. And the news services said that all preorders were sold out and that NEW orders would ship starting on the 19th.
That's not what the news services said in my area last night. They said that even in the first preorders will be delayed until the 19th and made a point to be specific about that. Please let us know when you have your in your hand. I got burned on the pre-order of the 3GS and the 4. And I decided I would never again trust the preorder system. Then it started to make sense to me that they would want to cater to their line-standers first.

But after a little more pondering i started to realize that it's probably way better PR to service your preorder people first. So I'm hoping that you all get your orders on Friday.

I didn't use preorder for my 4S. I was the first in line at my Apple store and got it then probably before most preorder people got their shipment from FedEx that Friday.

As I said earlier I have no dog in this pony show as I will not be getting the new iPad anytime soon. So please report the moment you guys get your iPads on Friday. Would love to know the preorder system is trustworthy again in time for iPhone 5's this summer.

Last edited:
Please let us know when your iPad 3's arrive in the mail today, PreOrder folks! Two of my friends got theirs from the Apple Store this morning - in not so long a line interestingly, they tell me.

Would love to hear reports about the screen and everything else. But most importantly did the preorders arrive today as it's supposed to happen.

I got mine at about 1pm Denver time. The screen is great, I don't think you really get a sense of it until you look back at another iPad. It is like switching from a standard definition channel to high def. My advice to people on the fence about upgrading, just do not play with one of these and you will be fine. For normal usage there is really no difference (new ipad is slightly faster, but not significantly) but once you see the screen all is lost and you will want one :)....So stay away if you do not want to drop the mulla.....