What's new

iOS update

how can i check what bootrom i have? should i try a custom firmware or the official one via iTunes? please point me links for 6.1.6 custom firmware

can anyone point me an updated custom iOS firmware that i can restore trough iTunes?

You can create one using RedSn0w. Download a clean 6.1.6 IPSW and create it.

are you talking about "Custom IPSW" option? it says "redsn0w will be updated for "Custom" IPSW support of FW 6.x in near future".... what should i do? what are the 3GS custom firmwares avaliables to download?

You can check your bootrom with your serial number. The 3rd, 4th and 5th digit must read 940 or below. If it reads 946 and above or 000 and above, you have a new bootrom. Between 940 and 945 is a throw-off. Some devices produced during this time has a new bootrom while some has an old bootrom.

If you're making a custom firmware for your baseband you can use Sn0wBreeze and restore using iTunes. Or, you can use RedSn0w's restore feature, and when the window comes up asking for preserving baseband firmware, say that you want to preserve your baseband and let it restore. If you're on the old bootrom, you won't need to have the 06.15.00 or 05.13.04 baseband. That only applies for the new bootrom.

You can check your bootrom with your serial number. The 3rd, 4th and 5th digit must read 940 or below. If it reads 946 and above or 000 and above, you have a new bootrom. Between 940 and 945 is a throw-off. Some devices produced during this time has a new bootrom while some has an old bootrom.

If you're making a custom firmware for your baseband you can use Sn0wBreeze and restore using iTunes. Or, you can use RedSn0w's restore feature, and when the window comes up asking for preserving baseband firmware, say that you want to preserve your baseband and let it restore. If you're on the old bootrom, you won't need to have the 06.15.00 or 05.13.04 baseband. That only applies for the new bootrom.
how can i use redsn0w restore feature if i dont have SHSH blobs saved??
about sn0wbreeze,does it produce a custom firmware compatible with iTunes?

Last edited:
You don't need blobs for 6.1.6.....

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk Pro

are u talking about 6.1.6 custom firmware or what?
how should i update to 6.1.6, trough redsn0w,iTunes or other?
please provide links
thanks.

can someone provide answer please?thanks.

You don't need blobs for custom firmwares on pre-A5 devices if you're using the latest IPSW. If you need to preserve your baseband while upgrading to 6.1.6, you don't need blobs.

where can i obtain 6.1.6 custom firmware?

No one ever uploads custom firmware files. They're easily made using RedSn0w and if anything goes wrong, if you actually downloaded the IPSW on your own and made your own custom IPSW, you'd still have the clean IPSW to restore to if something goes wrong. If you're going to jailbreak, you have to learn the mechanisms, not just taking the easy way out.

Follow the below tutorial. Ignore the portions with blobs, and replace the Firmware file/version with 6.1.6. Preserving the baseband will come when you select the 6.1.6 CLEAN IPSW.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...your-ios-use-blobs-pre-a5-devices-only-57333/

No one ever uploads custom firmware files. They're easily made using RedSn0w and if anything goes wrong, if you actually downloaded the IPSW on your own and made your own custom IPSW, you'd still have the clean IPSW to restore to if something goes wrong. If you're going to jailbreak, you have to learn the mechanisms, not just taking the easy way out.

Follow the below tutorial. Ignore the portions with blobs, and replace the Firmware file/version with 6.1.6. Preserving the baseband will come when you select the 6.1.6 CLEAN IPSW.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...your-ios-use-blobs-pre-a5-devices-only-57333/

what r u talking about? there r some custom firmwares avaliable on the webs and iTunes accepts them without any problems....
i didnt manage yet to update iOS to a more recent version,the answers given here do not work..