What's new

iOS update problem?

Signman

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this question. I've updated my iPhone 7 a couple days ago to the 12.1 iOS. Ever since then my Apple Watch 1st gen. doesn't display the names of contacts when someone in my contact list messages me or calls me. All I get is the phone number of the contact displayed on the watch. It works fine on the phone. I've Googled the problem and nothing suggested has worked. Do you think this is a bug with the new iOS 12.1?

Restart the watch and see if it helps. Hold both buttons and it should reboot the watch. Hope you get it resolved.

Well I tried the reboot of the watch but it still only shows the phone number. Something is not right here! Thanks for replying 933.

My iPhone is on the latest iOS version and my first generation Apple Watch is also fully updated. If anybody in my contact list messages or calls me, their name is always displayed if the list has the name entered. Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to make a Genius Bar appointment? Maybe their diagnostic equipment can find your problem.

Hello scifan57... I live about 30 minutes from an Apple store but I was hoping I wouldn't need to visit them to resolve this problem. I had this problem once before but it fixed it's self after a couple days. It's been about 4 days now so I'm thinking it has something to do with iOS 12.1 update since nothing I have tried has helped. Thanks for replying.

Well I'm happy to report that my Apple Watch is now working correctly. The fix was to go into the Apple Watch app on my phone, under General, scroll down to the very bottom and click on reset, on the next page click Reset Sync Data. Nothing appears to happen but it works in the background to rebuild the contacts. All is good now. Thanks everyone for the help.

Well I'm happy to report that my Apple Watch is now working correctly. The fix was to go into the Apple Watch app on my phone, under General, scroll down to the very bottom and click on reset, on the next page click Reset Sync Data. Nothing appears to happen but it works in the background to rebuild the contacts. All is good now. Thanks everyone for the help.
I'm glad you solved the problem. This solution may help others with the same problem