What's new

iTunes "Apply" button Problem

iPutz

Reaction score
N. Illinois in summer and far S. Texas in winter
I've Googled this problem and also searched through the forum for any answers but am coming up with nothing. Why does iTunes constantly require me to press the "Apply" button during a sync session with my iPhone 7. I am running the latest versions of both iTunes and iOS. This happens at least once during every sync session sometimes more than once. This started about a year ago. What I have noticed is that this rarely if ever happens when syncing my iPad 3.

I've Googled this problem and also searched through the forum for any answers but am coming up with nothing. Why does iTunes constantly require me to press the "Apply" button during a sync session with my iPhone 7. I am running the latest versions of both iTunes and iOS. This happens at least once during every sync session sometimes more than once. This started about a year ago. What I have noticed is that this rarely if ever happens when syncing my iPad 3.
Any time you make changes to your iPhone or other iOS device when connected to iTunes on your computer. The apply button is there because your computer doesn’t know when you’ve finished making changes and can’t apply the changes automatically.

That was my first thought also but my logic runs along the lines of "I am syncing the phone because I made changes I want to save so why should I have to repeat myself once, twice or even three times during a sync session". In reality, it's no big deal just an annoyance because I didn't have to deal with it until a year or so ago. Prior to that I could start the sync and move onto other things then come back to a finished sync session 15 or 20 minutes later.

The apply button has been a part of an iTunes sync for years.
I didn't have to use it but rarely until the last year or so. Now I have to use it at least once per sync and sometimes as many as three times during a sync session. I usually sync at least twice a week. If I sync the phone, disconnect nothing and immediately sync it again I'm still required to press the apply button at least once even though there were no changes from the previous sync that concluded 30seconds earlier. "Does Not Compute" crosses my mind.

It sounds like you are saying that during an initiated sync session you will have to hit the apply button, sometimes more than once, as opposed to having to hit the button to initiate a session.

If this is the case it is, to my understanding and experience, unusual. Once a sync session has commenced, unless I try to change something, I am good until it completes.

I've never needed to press the apply button to initiate a sync session, only the Sync button after connecting the phone to my PC with iTunes already loaded. In the last year or so the apply button is required to continue the sync session at some point during the session and this sometimes happens two or three times before the session can complete. I've tried uninstalling iTunes and all of its components, restoring the phone from a backup and even a restore to factory settings. All to no avail, the problem still persists. Again, it's not a major problem just an aggravating inconvenience that only requires a few more minutes of my time when syncing. Many thanks to all who have taken the time to try and help.

Last edited: