What's new

Itunes not recognising

ianj

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have had an iphone4 for about a year and had no problems syncing with itunes. I purchased an iphone 4s yesterday and although itunes will still recognise and sync my old iphone 4 it will not syn my iphone 4s. If the phone shows as a device (it doesn't always) I get a message, "iphone detected but cannot be recognised" and I also sometimes get the message, "cannot sync iphone as disc not found" itunes usually freezes and is unresponsive until i unplug the phone, thern averything works again. Is s if something is blocking the signal from the iphone 4s to itunes. I have read the Apple advice about deleting and e installing itunes, and have done so but the problem still exists. I am using windows 7 and an Asus laptop and have not experienced this before. I also tried my desktop computer which is running Vista and the same problem was found. This is the second iphone 4s IO have bought, I got one about 10 days ago and had the same probem so I took it and my laptop to the Apple store, threy could not fix the issue so I got a refund. I thought it might be worth trying again, so I bought an iphone from a different store in he hope it might just be a bad batch, but it seems there is something different in the way the device communicated with itunes, (or not, in my case) I am running the latest version of Itunes. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

120 views and no replies. Surely someone has the same problem and knows something?

You running the latest version of iTunes that could be the issue as when iOS5 was released you needed to update iTunes first so that could be the issue

Are you using the original USB cable which came with your iPhone 4S? Try to hard reset the phone 3 times (one full hard reset is as soon as you see your home screen, then hard reset it again and again). After the 3 hard reset try to connect it to your computer and see how it goes. But before try to reboot your computer, turn off the anti viruses, anti malware and firewall settings.
You can also look for Ccleaner install it on your computer, use it to clean up your computer after that look for errors in the computer using that software and then let Ccleaner fix up all the errors on the system. Reboot again your computer after that and you can open up iTunes and leave it load up completely and then connect your iPhone to it.
If after all this it still doesn't work, then take the phone back to Apple store.

Thanks for the replies. Here is an update for anyone interested. I tried everything but to no avail. Then I thought I ould try the desktop again, so I removed all traces of Itunes then re installed it. Voila, the iphone is not recognised by the desktop (Vista) and i can back up etc. Whatever I do woth the laptop Windows 7) i still canot get it to work, Itunes just keeps freezing and I get the message, "a phone has been detected but cannot be identified properly".

Clearly nothing wrong with the phone, this must be a problem with windows 7 and or my laptop.