What's new

sleep/wake button not working.

abr1990

Reaction score
So i got my iPhone 5 on release day and all was well. I have begun to notice that the sleep/wake button just doesn't work consistently. Sometimes i hit it once to check the screen or time and boom it wakes up, other times nothing happens. I end up button mashing it like in a video game out of frustration. Anyone else having this problem and/or know of fix. I have reset, turned it off on, plugged it in, performed a restore at least once and nothing. A friend of mine also seems to have this problem and with them it appears to happen where there is a lot of apps open. They say closing them helps but it is still happening. I had a 4s as my first iphone away from my beloved blackberry and it was great because it just worked, everything was smooth and polished. No lag no frustration. Blackberry drove me crazy with the lag of the keyboard when the thing got full on memory and such and now i am beginning to lose patience with this thing. nothing is move frustrated when you want to pull the phone out just for a second from a pocket or such to see any notifications or the time and nothing happens when you click the sleep wake button. or when you are one the run, finished and sent an email and now want to put it to sleep in your pocket only to realize its wont sleep and results in pocket dialing. So frustrating please help. I have never dropped it so thats out for anyone that thinks i have.

So i got my iPhone 5 on release day and all was well. I have begun to notice that the sleep/wake button just doesn't work consistently. Sometimes i hit it once to check the screen or time and boom it wakes up, other times nothing happens. I end up button mashing it like in a video game out of frustration. Anyone else having this problem and/or know of fix. I have reset, turned it off on, plugged it in, performed a restore at least once and nothing. A friend of mine also seems to have this problem and with them it appears to happen where there is a lot of apps open. They say closing them helps but it is still happening. I had a 4s as my first iphone away from my beloved blackberry and it was great because it just worked, everything was smooth and polished. No lag no frustration. Blackberry drove me crazy with the lag of the keyboard when the thing got full on memory and such and now i am beginning to lose patience with this thing. nothing is move frustrated when you want to pull the phone out just for a second from a pocket or such to see any notifications or the time and nothing happens when you click the sleep wake button. or when you are one the run, finished and sent an email and now want to put it to sleep in your pocket only to realize its wont sleep and results in pocket dialing. So frustrating please help. I have never dropped it so thats out for anyone that thinks i have.
you have 90 days free phone support with Apple on your iphone 5,i suggest you give them a ring,I'm sure they will be able to help.

Get it replaced and personally I would make sure to get a new one and not a refurb.

Last week my iphone 5 was doing something similar. If I pressed the power button more on the left side it worked, if I pressed toward the right side nothing happened. I took it in to the apple store after a day of that. They looked at it and replaced it with a new one no problem. Couldn't have worked out better.