What's new

iOS 6.1 Released

ok, so I will wait and make sure that 6.1 is able to be JB'd and then do the DFU thingy and then prosper. Thanks for the explanation .. Im still learning the iPhone stuff, been rocking android since the OG Moto Droid was first released...

Sorry if I'm being redundent but I want to be perfectly clear. I updated to 6.0.2 from 6.0 via itunes just before last weekend. Is there any reason I need to restore to anything before updating to 6.1?If I do restore to "new" will I lose any apps or settings or txt's etc.? Thanks in advance.

Not getting what you're trying to ask. Why would you need to restore to something if you're updating to iOS 6.1. Simply update. Make a full back up by right clicking on your device on the left taskbar in iTunes, and click Backup. After the restore through iTunes, select "Restore from Backup <Date dropdown menu>", and it'll restore your texts, apps, settings, contacts, etc.

Just an FYI, the iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.1 jailbreak will all use the iOS 6.0 IPSW

Last edited:
Not getting what you're trying to ask. Why would you need to restore to something if you're updating to iOS 6.1. Simply update. Make a full back up by right clicking on your device on the left taskbar in iTunes, and click Backup. After the restore through iTunes, select "Restore from Backup <Date dropdown menu>", and it'll restore your texts, apps, settings, contacts, etc.

Just an FYI, the iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 and 6.1 jailbreak will all use the iOS 6.0 IPSW
Now I'm really confused. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology. Does the "restore" in green mean the update? First you say to simply update without a restore and then you say after the "restore" to restore from backup. I have 2 restore buttons in itunes, one says "restore iphone" and the other says "restore backup"

There's two end results of restoring (to any iOS version, doesn't matter which one.) Restoring as a "New Device" or restoring "from a backup." Restoring as a "New Device" is the absolute cleanest way to install and/or update to a different iOS version that you're currently running. Using this method... you'll need to ensure that you have your contacts, notes, etc. manually saved/backed up somewhere so they can be Sync'd back to your device, via iTunes, after the restore.

The way I use the term Restore would be in the two ways mentioned in the original post. When I say just straight up 'restore' it means putting an iOS on a device, either upgrading, downgrading, latest, etc. When I refer to the "restore" as in the backup, I'll always say "restore [from] backup" with variations for the []. Same as iTunes. You click the Restore button, it'll install an iOS on your device. When prompted on an initial setup, iTunes will have the option to "Restore from backup".

Should I bother updating?

Have a 4s
Currently on 6.0.1
Never jailbroken but I wouldn't mind doing it eventually.

Will simply updating without any special actions taken reduce my chances of jailbreaking my phone if it ever becomes available?

Thanks.

(And I apologize for such newbie questions... I've tried reading & learning but this stuff just goes in one ear & out the other)

The update affected my APN settings so I suggest you check yours.

I have had to put them back to what they should be.

ok guys, i just read all 4 pages and i am still dont understand what to do....I have done this once so i need a refresh..

I have a jailed broken Iphone4 (used greenpoison) with tetherme. I have an iphone5 which i have not actived because i was waiting for ios 6+ JB version. Once i successfully JB iphone5 i will not need iphone 4. Anyway what do i have to do once i active my iphone5 via verizon in order to get the JB capabilities and also get tetherme (main reason why I JB my device) sorry for my ignorance!!!!

@OreoGaborio, no it does not affect your chances of jailbreaking. But putting it into DFU mode is the failsafe way of restoring so you won't hit any problems while doing so.

@delosrec, TetherMe does not support iOS 6 yet. Once the jailbreak comes out, you jailbreak??

When the 6.1 untethered jailbreak comes out, will we be able to install over 5.1.1 jailbreak so we don't need to setup the phone and all tweaks etc again?

Can some one post a link with 6.1 ipsw for download .. Thanks

OK, I'm old and slow but I think I finally understand what I need to do.
1. backup my iphone running 6.0.2
2. "restore iphone", button right next to "update", which will install 6.1
3. "restore backup", button right next to "backup now" which will restore contacts, txt's etc.
4. Jailbreak on Sunday :)

Does this sound right?

I just did the OTA.....if it doesn't work oh well

32GB iPad 4 Retina/iPhone4s