What's new

iOS 6.1 Released

From Wikipedia's iOS 6 article...
  • Siri (iPhone 4S and later, iPod Touch (5th generation), iPad (3rd generation) and later, & iPad Mini only)
  • Siri now available on iPad (3rd generation) and iPod Touch (5th generation).
  • Additional country and language support for Canada (English and Canadian French), China (Mandarin), Hong Kong (Cantonese), Italy (Italian), Korea (Korean), Mexico (Spanish), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (Italian, French, German), Taiwan (Mandarin), US (Spanish).
  • Local search works around the world.
  • Siri can now provide information on sports leagues such as NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, WNBA, NCAA basketball and American football, the Premier League, MLS, and more. Ask for player stats, team rosters, game schedules and team standings.
  • Siri can provide information on movies like find movie reviews, ask about actors and actresses, play a movie trailer, get showtimes for movies and find a theater/cinema.
  • Yelp! built-in reviews and launch to open up more information and create reservations with OpenTable.
  • Restaurants are listed by reviews and nearest with more information.
  • Apps can be launched by saying "run <app name>" or "open <app name>".
  • Siri can send Tweets and update Facebook status.
  • Siri can read items from Notification Center.
  • "Eyes Free", allowing car companies to build-in Siri integration; with a mic button on steering wheel, and for launching Siri functions, and screen disabling during Eyes Free mode.
  • Facebook integration
  • Share to Facebook from Share button and apps can access Facebook accounts; similar to Twitter integration in iOS 5.
  • Integrated into Notification Center.
  • Integrated in Siri and APIs for third-party apps.
  • Contacts synced from friends' contact information on Facebook.
  • Facebook Events and birthdays in Calendar.
  • "Like" button on apps and content from the App Store and iTunes Store.
  • Twitter
  • Icon matches Twitter's new logo.
  • Passbook (iPhone and iPod Touch only)
  • New app that manages a user's boarding passes, movie tickets, retail coupons, loyalty cards, etc. in one app.
  • Store coupons and gift cards in a wallet-like app (e.g. Apple Store, Starbucks, Target, etc.).
  • Passes are updated in real time if changes are made (e.g. spending money on a store card, flight time, gate change, etc.).
  • Passes are location and time-based, appearing on the lock screen when relevant.
  • Notification Center
  • Update Facebook status or Tweet from new widget.
  • Message previews can now be toggled on/off for alerts.
  • Calendar now shows the current date in the title bar.
  • Shows ending times for Calendar events.
  • Added "Do Not Disturb" for Notifications. (See Settings, below, for more information)
  • Photos
  • Shared Photo Streams. Photos can be shared with other contacts. Photos shared can be commented on and liked. Notifications are enabled for when a contact shares a photo with the user.
  • New sharing menu using new icons. Has options for Twitter (with new icon), Facebook, Weibo (when Chinese keyboard is enabled), as well as Copy, Use Wallpaper, Print.
  • Videos can be uploaded to Youku and Tudou when the Chinese keyboard is enabled.
  • Constantly shows a button to create new Albums.
  • Music
  • New streamlined UI with white and black themes.
  • Late Night Mode equaliser.
  • Settings
  • "Bluetooth" moved to top of Settings list.
  • Added "Do Not Disturb" mode, allowing users to avoid calls and notifications unless calling parties are on the user's Favorites group. A crescent moon icon will appear in the status bar when enabled. Has no effect when the screen is on.
  • Added in Notifications: Government warnings and AMBER Alerts (toggle on/off).
  • New Privacy Controls. Apps must now ask for permission to access the users photos, calendars, contacts and reminders.
  • Revised Settings icon, similar to that of the OS X System Preferences app icon.
  • New gear animation in the Settings app shown whilst downloading an over-the-air update.
  • Usage: Time Since Last Full Charge now available for all devices.
  • Enable 3G under Cellular setting (iPhone).
  • Maps menu for changing voice volume, map label language, label size, and distance units (iPhone 4S and later, iPad 2 and later, & iPod Touch 5th generation).
  • Settings categories now separated into groups on iPad.
  • "Advertising" option added under "About", just above "Diagnostics & Usage" to enable or disable advertising networks from serving you "targeted ads".
  • Phone
  • Adds phone icon on lock screen for additional ignoring options, similar to the camera sliding icon on the lock screen in iOS 5.1.
  • When ignoring a call, the user can message the caller or set a Reminder to call them back later or send one of three customizable quick SMS response.
  • Phone call doesn't take up the entire lock screen when a call is incoming.
  • New white themed UI for dial pad.
  • Maps
  • Turn-by-turn Navigation with Siri Voice powered by TomTom (iPhone 4S and later, iPad 2 and later, & iPod Touch (5th generation)), voice directions (iPhone 4S and later only).
  • Maps are now Apple-sourced instead of using Google sources.
  • 3D overview for maps (iPhone 4S and later, iPad 2 and later, & iPod Touch (5th generation)).
  • Satellite view.
  • Flyover view for maps gives 3D satellite view (iPhone 4S and later, iPad 2 and later, & iPod Touch (5th generation)).
  • New Map icon.
  • Lock Screen integration for turn-by-turn navigation (iPhone 4S and later, & iPad 2 and later), voice directions (iPhone 4S and later only).
  • Yelp! integration available for businesses provides reviews and information on the business. Allows the user to launch Yelp! app from Maps.
  • Info cards of businesses.
  • Traffic crowd sourcing with anonymous data sent from all iPhones, also adds events of traffic slow-down. Re-routing around traffic accidents and road work.
  • Tapping search bar will automatically give you directions from current location to back home, can be changed.
  • FaceTime
  • Make FaceTime calls over cellular (iPhone 4S and later, & iPad (3rd generation) only) (some carriers require data sharing plan, e.g. AT&T).
  • Mail
  • VIP inbox stars important emails from user defined VIP group members.
  • Flagged emails inbox.
  • Attach photos and videos quickly with a long-press.
  • Open password-protected Microsoft Office documents.
  • Added Pull-to-Refresh gesture to update Mail accounts.
  • Per account Signatures.
  • Holding the Compose button now shows a list of all draft messages, rather than just the most recent draft message.
  • Email addressed used can now be removed from the Recent list
  • Contacts
  • Search All Fields.
  • Custom Vibrations for Text Message Notifications.
  • Reminders
  • Manual Reader.
  • Manual location based reminders.
  • Location based reminders (iPad (3rd generation); previously only available for iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S) (option removed in Golden Master).
  • Safari
  • Fullscreen landscape mode (for iPhone and iPod Touch).
  • iCloud tab syncing across iOS devices and Macs.
  • Offline reading list caches the user's reading list for later use, even when not connected to the Internet (not available for iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch (4th generation)).
  • Smart App Banners: Banners on mobile webpages prompt users to download the website's native App Store counterpart in the App Store.
  • Faster JavaScript engine.
  • Apps in search results.
  • Support for photo upload via Camera Roll to web forms with <input type="file"> elements.
  • Support up to 25 open tabs on iPad.
  • Bookmarks window now displays tabs along the bottom of the window for switching between viewing "Bookmarks", "History" and "Reading list"; previously was just listed all in one source list (iPad 2 and later only).
  • Bookmarks button changes to Reading list icon with a progress bar when updating the Reading list for offline use (iPad 2 and later only).
  • Long press the "Back" or "Forward" button to reveal the browsing history (for iPhone 3GS and later, iPod Touch (4th generation) and later. Previously only available for iPad since iOS 5.x).
  • App Store
  • New UI.
  • Darker theme.
  • Applications can be purchased from within apps.
  • Installing an app no longer returns the user to the home screen the app will download and install while continuing to browse the store.
  • Updating an app no longer requires the iTunes password to be entered.
  • Tap the screenshots of App to enter Full Screen mode.
  • Open the app that have been already installed by tapping the "Open" button.
  • Developer page on the bottom of App details Screen.
  • Update History on the bottom of App details Screen.
  • Related item on the middle of App details Screen.
  • Share sheet button on the right top of App details Screen.
  • Install free apps without an Apple ID.
  • iTunes
  • New UI.
  • Darker theme.
  • Content can be purchased from within apps (previously available since iOS 5.0).
  • Accessibility
Guided Access:
  • Allows user to lock exiting of the app in Single App Mode.
  • Allows users to disable certain controls within a specific app.
  • Locks the home button from being used to act like a kiosk.
Speak Selection
  • Allows selected text to be read using the same Text-To-Speech that powers VoiceOver.
  • Allows speech rate and dialect to be changed and words to be highlighted as they are read.
  • When in use, infers language from context, and when no context is available, offers a choice. Pause/resume is available.
  • iCloud
  • Personal Dictionary synchronisation.
  • Passbook synchronisation.
  • Clock
  • Set a song as an alarm sound.
  • Clock app for iPad.
  • Weather
  • New UI.
  • Stocks
  • Historical data can be viewed for the past 5 and 10 years when in landscape mode.
  • YouTube
  • Apple's integrated app removed, due to an ended licensing deal with Google.
  • Game Center
  • Game Center challenges.
  • Facebook friends integration.
  • Opportunity to delete games without deleting the apps from a device.
  • Camera
  • HDR improvements.
  • Darker theme (iPhone & iPod Touch only).
  • Panorama Mode (iPhone 4S and later, & iPod Touch (5th generation) only).
  • Ability to take pictures while recording video (iPhone 5, & iPod Touch (5th generation) only).
  • Face detection is now on the iPad 2
  • Calendar
  • Add Facebook events and friends' birthdays into Calendar.
  • Security
  • Kernel ASLR added.
  • Other
  • Lost Mode: If an iOS device is lost, Lost Mode triggers an attention grabbing sound, prompting the person who finds the iPhone to call a specific number set by the owner remotely.
  • Additional features for China (Baidu search engine replaces Google, etc.).
  • Weibo Integrated (when Chinese Keyboard enabled).
  • VoiceOver improvements.
  • Custom Vibrations for Alerts.
  • Global Network proxy for HTTP.
  • IPv6 support for Wi-Fi and LTE.
  • Auto Correction for every keyboard.
  • Bluetooth MAP support.
  • Improved keyboard layouts.
  • New Thai keyboard (full keyboard).
  • French, German, and Spanish dictionaries. (Download necessary at time of first use)
  • "Made For iPhone" specification for hearing aids.
  • A blue "New" ribbon over newly installed apps.
  • Status bar reflects the color of the top-most banner in 3rd party apps. (iPhone and iPod Touch only)
  • Spotlight lists name of folder an app is located in.
  • Setup for iMessage & FaceTime added to initial device first time setup.
  • Folders now let you store up to 16 apps. (iPhone 5 and iPod Touch (5th generation))

Last edited:
Doesnt sound like much different then what I have with 5.1.1 and a couple of tweaks.

iOS 6.1 additions...
  • Larger "Report a Problem" button in Maps
  • New music controls on lock screen when you double-press home button
  • Siri can now purchase movie tickets via Fandango (USA only)
  • LTE now works with several European, African, American and Asian carriers
  • Individual songs can once again be downloaded or deleted when using iTunes Match
  • New, persistent Passbook pass explaining service functionality
  • Wi-Fi Signal intensity improved
  • Battery life improved
  • Song's total time position moved from right to under the title, longer song title. (not sure)
  • Fixes - Email does not work consistently with Exchange clients. (This was usually related to moving between Wi-Fi and cellular networks)

Hmmmm.... Looks like all the time I would need to spend to get everything back on 6.1 isn't worth it as I can do 99% on 5.1.1 with Tweaks. Maybe others should consider this before going from 5.1.1 to 6.1....unless I am missing something?

Then by all means... stay on 5.1.1. If you're happy w/ it and see no point in updating... there's nothing that says we have to update. :)

Of course but I was trying to see if there was a major reason to spend all the time restoring and reloading etc

Hmmmm.... Looks like all the time I would need to spend to get everything back on 6.1 isn't worth it as I can do 99% on 5.1.1 with Tweaks. Maybe others should consider this before going from 5.1.1 to 6.1....unless I am missing something?

Of course but I was trying to see if there was a major reason to spend all the time restoring and reloading etc
You've absolutely nailed it. Many people are hesitant, like yourself, to update from 5.1.1 to 6.0+. Mainly becuase of the repercussions it has on their Jailbreak.

To be honest, the day when Apple releases an SBSetting-like feature directly through the iOS is the day I'd really look at the "features" part of any Apple device LOL.

All,

I read most of the posts and it seems, upgrading from 5.1 to 6.1 will be a pain. However my situation could be more simpler and I hope someone could assist me.

I currently have a JB Iphone4 which i only downloaded tetherme for the hotspot capability (no other JB apps). I also have in my posession an Iphone 5, which i've been waiting to activate once JB becomes available for 6+. Once again i will only need the JB for tetherme for my iphone5. Am i going to have all these issues posted here or once JB is availalbe all i have to do is the following

1- active iphone5 (iphone4 no longer will work)
2- JB with greenpoison
3- install tetherme (do i have to purchase this app again?)
4-my phone ready to hotspot

Would this be correct?

The current state of iOS 6 does not support tethering from TetherMe, PDAnet, and MyWi. They will deactivate your device. Until the developers update it to support iOS 6, you won't be able to use it.

Upgrading to the latest iOS is very a pain. DFU mode, shift+click Restore, wait 5 minutes, done.

You can back up settings and jailbroken tweaks and such to restore after a firmware restore using Cydia apps like pkgbackup. They're pretty limited on what they can or can't backup.

Have you used PkgBackup recently Jon? It is one of the most comprehensive backup solutions available for iDevices. Not only does it save your tweaks and settings, but it can also backup almost every other aspect of the device including standard apps, settings, media, documents, SHSH Blobs, pictures, messages, etc. I can't conceive of it being described as "limited" unless you are referring to an old version from a long time ago...

After updating to 6.1 itunes pops up asking to download and update my carrier sttings. Is it ok to do this, I'm on Verizon.

That would depend on the device you have. I updated the carrier settings on my 4S, and my data service decided to skydive. The signal becomes really weak even at places where I've had a pretty strong signal before.

Does anyone know if IOS Maps was fixed in 6.1? guessing this is a decent place to ask this...