What's new

iOS 5 To Have 200 New Features Including Notification Centre, iMessage, Newsstand etc

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS_5_twitter.JPG

Well the big day finally arrived and it most certainly did not disappoint! Apple CEO Steve Jobs took the stage with a keynote address to kick off the start of Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), and just as expected both Jobs and his fellow Apple big wigs proceeded to walk and talk us all through the many, many new features of the forthcoming iOS 5. The iOS 5 beta release, which is available now to developers, includes over 200 new features that will be available to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users this fall, including Notification Center, iMessage, PC Free and Newsstand.

“iOS 5 has some great new features, such as Notification Center, iMessage and Newsstand and we can’t wait to see what our developers do with its 1,500 new APIs,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Perhaps iOS 5’s paramount feature is that it’s built to seamlessly work with iCloud in the Post PC revolution that Apple is leading.”

Let’s take a look at each of those main components in turn a little more closely. First up we have Notification Center, which gives iOS 5 users a way of accessing all their notifications all in one place, be they text message, missed calls, calendar alerts, or app alerts, for example. The notifications will arrive briefly at the top of the screen without interrupting you in what you’re doing. Just one swipe will give you access to all your notifications, and a tap will take you to the app for more detail. Notifications will also appear on the lock screen.

Next up, Newsstand, which is basically a virtual bookshelf displaying the covers of all your newspaper and magazine subscriptions in one place. Sounds a bit like Flipboard!

Safari will also be upgraded in iOS 5, with new features including Safari Reader to enable you to easily scroll and read through a story, Reading List, which will save articles for you to read later in all your iOS devices, and Tabbed Browsing.

Twitter integration is another major feature of iOS 5, proving many of the rumours of the last few days to be completely accurate. What this essentially means is that you will be able to sign in once and then tweet directly from all your Twitter-enabled apps, including Photos, Camera, Safari, YouTube and Maps.
iMessage is what many people are calling Apple’s version of BlackBerry Messenger. It brings the functionality of iPhone messaging to all of your iOS devices. iMessage will be built right into the Messages app, and will enable you to easily send text messages, photos, videos or contact information to a person or group on other iOS 5 devices of Wi-Fi or 3G. iMessages will be automatically pushed to all your iOS 5 devices.

Reminders is another new app, designed to help you to manage your tasks, including setting time or location-based reminder alerts, priorities and due dates, so that you can be reminded of a task as its deadline approaches or when you arrive or depart a location.

Camera and Photos will also have new features, including instant access to the camera right from the lock screen.

And finally, last, but most certainly not least, we have PC Free, whereby iOS 5 users can activate and set up their iOS device right out of the box with no computer required. Just as predicted, software updates will be delivered over the air.

Phew! So that’s the good news! The bad news is, we can’t get our hand on it until the fall!

Source: Apple, WWDC 2011 liveblog: Steve Jobs talks iOS 5, OS X Lion, iCloud and more! -- Engadget

i still have not worked out how to do the lock screen and the 150 other features... sad still no bluetooth send/receive

Unleashed said:
... sad still no bluetooth send/receive

QFA
I'd say had I realised this 'omission' (pr stance?) when considering between the iPhone and android's I'd would not have bought one :(

Unleashed said:

QFA
I'd say had I realised this 'omission' (pr stance?) when considering between the iPhone and android's I'd would not have bought one :(

with jailbreak you can get that feature but it costs $7 and since i upgrade to ios beta 5.0 i cant get it. but you can for all firmwares from 4.2.1 up to 4.3.3 it works nicely

Unleashed said:

QFA

with jailbreak you can get that feature but it costs $7 and since i upgrade to ios beta 5.0 i cant get it. but you can for all firmwares from 4.2.1 up to 4.3.3 it works nicely

There sure is a way to get celest install on iOS 5. You just need to tell cydia that you've never never upgrade to any iOS and that you are still on iOS 4.3.1 after telling that to cydia, celest will allow you to purchase it and to install it. Whenever you ready, just let me know it.
What I don't know at the moment is if celest will work with iOS 5 or not.

QFA

There sure is a way to get celest install on iOS 5. You just need to tell cydia that you've never never upgrade to any iOS and that you are still on iOS 4.3.1 after telling that to cydia, celest will allow you to purchase it and to install it. Whenever you ready, just let me know it.

no idea if it will, but i am not jailbroken. probably wont until after final release and a un tethered jb

no idea if it will, but i am not jailbroken. probably wont until after final release and a un tethered jb

Ok, after you will jailbreak the ios 5 you should be able to install it at least wether it work on iOS 5 or not. How is it working out with the iOS 5? Buggy' stable and faster than ever? Anything about the UI? and over all, how is the battery life on heavy usage and normal usage?

Ok, after you will jailbreak the ios 5 you should be able to install it at least wether it work on iOS 5 or not. How is it working out with the iOS 5? Buggy' stable and faster than ever? Anything about the UI? and over all, how is the battery life on heavy usage and normal usage?

i am very happy with ios 5.. it is a bit buggy with app store mainly is what i have noticed and some apps from the app store dont even work properly and all the ios 5 features are not even enabled in ios 5 beta 1...

if your thinking about it i would advise to wait for the next beta 5 maybe even the one after that so it becomes a lot more stable and all the feature will be there for you to take advantage of...

you cant itunes sync over the air and you cant buy more storage..

also i have noticed there is no ipod icon any more, dont know if that was a bug or if they have replaced the icon with some others (video,music)

you now have a button on the texts to be able to buy more tones..

also itunes 10.5 that you have to have in order to use it is very buggy and refuses to sync my iphone properly and even when i had an up to date backup itunes did not re install all my apps and photos and other files and took a very long time to do so..

but it does let me backup 5GB worth of data so far and i love the grey screen you can pull down like sbsettings and also its letting me use my phone when it syncs and the text messages when it shows like a little bar on the top of the screen so its easy to ignore if your playing a game or doing something, i really like that...

for every day use i have no problems using it to be honest, its not stopping me doing anything that i really need to

Well well you giving me the taste to try it man. I have to touch the thing now, can't wait can't wait no more.

Ah well I wonder if there is an option to take them off. I think this is sort of lame.