What's new

Install custom ringtone

cblake

Reaction score
I've watched multiple videos and read many threads and I can't seem to get it to work. Can someone help me please?!

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 32g and the firmware is 4.2.8

Jailbreaking would make it easier, but If you don't wanna go that route, then I'd suggest trying an ringtone app since you've had so much difficulty. Myxer or ringtone maker work great, and they're both free. They make a ringtone from the music in your iPod app on your iPhone.

Step 1: make your desired ringtone with a ringtone app
Step 2: email it to yourself
Step 3: download the ringtone from your email on your computer in which you have iTunes installed
Step 4: drag and drop the ringtone to iTunes when your iPhone is synced! (make sure you drop the ringtone in your synced iPhone section on the left column of iTunes).
Step 5: enjoy your new ringtone!

Post back if this method works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Last edited:
Well see my phone is jailbroken and I've tried cyberduck, filezilla, iPhone explorer, and disk aid.

Also what would I use to create the ringtone cause I tried audacity and it kept giving the whole song instead of the part I created.

Oh I forgot to mention but it's for a SMS Tone

cblake said:
Oh I forgot to mention but it's for a SMS Tone

Oh! Ok lol. You'll need to download an app like BiteSMS from cydia. That app is an awesome replacement to iOS's SMS app. That app will let you use custom ringtones for SMS notifications. It's not free, but it comes with a trial. Plus if you like it a lot and your trial expires you can still use the app, there will just be ads (which in that sense I guess it can be free lol)

cblake said:
Well see my phone is jailbroken and I've tried cyberduck, filezilla, iPhone explorer, and disk aid.

Also what would I use to create the ringtone cause I tried audacity and it kept giving the whole song instead of the part I created.

Like I said try myxer. It's in the AppStore. Then use my instructions, or the instructions that come with the app.

So I will be able to ssh new custom tones to replace the stock tones? Lol sorry for all questions it's just on the YouTube videos they make it look so easy and it doesn't work for me

cblake said:
So I will be able to ssh new custom tones to replace the stock tones? Lol sorry for all questions it's just on the YouTube videos they make it look so easy and it doesn't work for me

There's no need to ssh. BiteSMS gives you the option to use custom ringtones from it's settings menu.

cblake said:
Okay great! Thanks for the help

You'll still need to either use the ringtone app method or use a diff method to make custom ringtones. BiteSMS just let's you use your custom ringtones for SMS notifications.

So In bite SMS I go to setting ringtones and I can change it there?