What's new

Inexpensive Screen Protectors for 4S?

nightfly

Reaction score
When I picked up my iPhone at the Sprint store, I was naturally planning to get a screen protector as well as a case. As it turns out, the only protectors they were selling were a three-pack for $49.99. No, thanks! I checked a few other nearby stores and, after deciding I didn't want to go with a matte texture, settled on PointMobl Mirrored Screen Protectors for around $8 for three. Well...on the good side, the protector was quite easy to apply, left no air bubbles, and fit with the case I had chosen. On the bad side...these protectors had a heapin' helpin' of the so-called rainbow effect. Depending on how I hold my 4S, the screen will either have a light-green tint, a pale-yellow tint, a pastel-pink tint, or, if you hold it just right, diagonal stripes of all three colors over different parts of the screen. (While doing an Internet search on the phenomenon, I saw a great quote about someone who had tried a similar protector, and reported that "it was like a truckload of Care Bears had exploded on my screen." :D ) Not to mention that, although the protector seemed transparent when I held it up to the light, on the display, it cut the brightness and contrast substantially.

At this point, I'd just like to replace it with a protector that is inexpensive, glossy, and won't add an color tint. At some point, I might opt to go with an InvisibleShield or ditch the protector entirely and go with a LifeProof case, but, for the moment, I just want to be able to use my 4S without feeling like the '60s are back, man. Can anyone suggest a reasonably-priced (i.e. cheap) brand that will fill the bill?

Last edited:
I picked up a 3 pack of WrightRite protectors for iPhone 4 from Walmart for about 9 bucks. They fit well with no bubbles (if applied correctly, be patient) and are glossy and smooth. I do not notice considerable discoloration or tint, though there is a slightly greener tint than bare screen. What I do notice is that it downgrades the sharpness of the beautiful retina display. It is not a considerable amount, in fact it is very similar to how the bare screen on my droid x was as far as crispness, but if you are looking for that retina display sharpness and true color, then they might not be exactly what you want. For me, they are fine for th eiphone, but I have opted to leave by iPad without a protector as I often use my iPad for showing portfolios and viewing photographs (photographer here). I think for 9 bucks they are pretty good thoug, especially compared to $50 from retailer!