What's new

I want to turn my PC into a dock!

TekKnow

Reaction score
OK, so my computer at work doesn't have iTunes and I really don't need it. I use my USB to charge my phone. I would like to listen to my music or radio app. Basically I want to play my music through the speakers without having to unplug them from the back of my computer and plugging them into my phone. So my questions are as follows.

1. Can I download some driver to turn my Windows 7 PC into a dock using USB?
2. Do I need iTunes to accomplish this if it is indeed possible?
3. Would I be able to control the phone using the next/previous/play/pause buttons on my keyboard?

I have done a quick google search but the correct answers seem to be burried among the results. So I came here.

It sounds like you want to set up an (impossible) convoluted rig to save yourself the trouble of unplugging a single cable and plugging it into your phone. Why not install iTunes on the PC if you have admin and use the device as intended or buy a cable or adapter to make your cord swapping less inconvenient?

1) No need to download any drivers. All the drivers you need are built into the phone and installed on your computer when the device is plugged into it.
2) Of coarse having iTunes installed would make this very easy. But first disable automatic syncing within iTunes so iTunes does not erase the content on your device. (Edit> Preferences> Devices> Tick the box beside "Prevent iPhones, iPods, and iPads from syncing automatically"). Be sure to click the OK button so changes are saved.
Now plug in iPhone open iTunes, click Music underneath your devices name, and you can play the music that is on the phone through iTunes,
3) Using iTunes to play the music on your device will not allow you to control playback through the device, tho iTunes has playback controls that you can use to control playback inside and outside of iTunes.

Alternatively, I would checkout the JumiTech music player. Google it.

3) Using iTunes to play the music on your device will not allow you to control playback through the device, tho iTunes has playback controls that you can use to control playback inside and outside of iTunes.

Alternatively, I would checkout the JumiTech music player. Google it.

Good solution for my library but I have many apps such as sirus and groove shark I would like to hear coming out of my computer speakers while still maintaining the speaker connection to my PC as I need the sounds to keep playing from my computer. Basically looking for a program to emulate a car radio or home theatre system when I plug my phone into the PC.