What's new

I phone 4s questions from a newbie

bigdelucs

Reaction score
My current contract with verizon wireless is going to end on Oct 28, and I have a chance to purchase a Iphone 4s. I have numerous questions to ask, if anyone is willing to assist me with some answers....thanks.....

My current contract with verizon wireless is going to end on Oct 28, and I have a chance to purchase a Iphone 4s. I have numerous questions to ask, if anyone is willing to assist me with some answers....thanks.....
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

poisonivy……iPF STAFF.
iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

bigdelucs said:
We're more than welcome to help. We do ask, though, that you look around through our forum and possibly hit up our search feature for any topics that may cover your questions. Other than that, post a new thread in the section that most pertains to your questions and we'll get to answering them. Welcome to iPF!!

Alright, heres the first question in a series of many.......I can buy this I Phone 4s for $300. Is this a reasonable price?..Also, the phone is presently hooked up through Verizon, although it has never been used, its layin in a drawer. The girl bought 2 of them, got both of them going, thinking that her boyfriend was gonna use it. Instead he got a job, and the company gave him a free phone for his business. Now she has been paying monthly for this phone hookup through verizon. When she contacted verizon, they told her, that It would cost her 300 dollars for her to cancel the phone. Thats the deal, I pay the 300 dollars, and I get the phone.

Question 2. If this phone is hooked up to verizon, can i use it say with Virgin Mobile. The phone was bought through Best Buy. Now shouldnt the phone be able to be used with any carrier? Doesnt best buy deal with several carriers , or just verizon. And if they only deal with verizon, why cant say virgin mobile make the phone work for their outfit seeing how it seems that you can unlock or jailbreak or whatever you wanna call it the phone......More to come.....thanks....these phones seem like they have more baloney goin on with them than computers.....and I've built several computers........

What is exactly included in that $300, other than you paying for your friend's termination fees? A locked 4s currently is being retailed for $99. Plus you need to think about the setup fee (if any) and monthly fees...

You can't switch carriers unless you have a jailbroken phone, which sounds like you do not. Doesn't matter where the phone was bought.

Ok, i seen that ad at walmart for 87 dollars for the phone. Upon checking around, I've seen em priced anywhere from the 87 to 600 dollars. Thus my question on what a reasonable price is. As to what is included in the 300. Nothing. I pay the 300 dollar termination fee, and she gives me the phone. I went to verizon and spoke to a salesman. I advised him that my contract with verizon was to expire on Oct. 28 . I currently have a cell phone, with no internet, no text, just talk. I pay 39 dollars a month. He said If i had my own Iphone, I could add 30 dollars to my current plan for internet (2gb) 10 dollars for text, and no contract involved. What I have now would just continue. It would be 80 dollars a month with like I said, no additional 2 year contract involved. Or I could go prepaid for 80 dollars also. (1gb internet, unlimited text.)(, (I guess thats the pay as you go plan, I had a lot of questions, but no time, so I didnt get into specific details with him] He didnt mention any setup fees though.
Now you say that you cant switch carriers without a "Jailbroken" phone. With these HI TECH I phones, why couldnt another carrier break it for me, If they want my business. Awaiting your answers. Just dont understand all the ins and outs of these smart phones..thus my joining this forum. Hope it helps...thanks...

Oh ok. I'm sorry, but it looks like I was living in the dark ages. iPhones use to be sold on 3 carriers and now it seems to be even more and I wasn't aware of that. So no, you won't need to jailbreak. You should be able to take it to a store and they can help you switch over. As for pricing, Virgin Mobile lists their 4s at like 650.. so getting it for 300 with no contract seems like a pretty good deal.

Thanks for your reponse. Now this leads me into more questions..Jailbroken or unlocked. Whats the difference? Do i need to buy sim cards, or do they do this procedure electronically.........totally confused........and according to the other responder, this phone that I am thinking on purchasing , which is hooked up to verizon, can be(unlocked / jailbroken/set up) by another carrier say virgin mobile, att . Is this correct?????. And do they include another charge for this procedure/hardware???