What's new

I need help!!

tntlassiter

Reaction score
I tried several methods of downgrading so I could jailbreak. I thought I had one working because it said it was jailbreaking on my iphone screen but when it got done, all I have is the usb cable and the arrow going into itunes and I can't get it to reboot or anything...what can I do?

I tried several methods of downgrading so I could jailbreak. I thought I had one working because it said it was jailbreaking on my iphone screen but when it got done, all I have is the usb cable and the arrow going into itunes and I can't get it to reboot or anything...what can I do?

I am assuming you are trying to go back to 4.2.8 from 4.2.10 so here is how I have done it. Mind it I am on iOS 5 beta 4 right now so I am not aware if anything has changed in recent times and it might also depends on the version of iTunes you are running, the info below is for the usual iTunes and/or iTunes 10.5 beta 1. Try it out at your own risk....

Its very easy to restore back to 4.2.8... I have done it many times myself... Now... I will assume that this process works the iTunes version u r running:

1) put ur phone in DFU mode. You can do this by holding the power button and the home button at the same time for ten seconds... After ten seconds release the power button but keep holding the home button...

2) iTunes will say something like "iPhone found in recovery mode... Do you want to restore to factory settings" accept it

3) make sure that ur 4.2.8 restore ipsw file is some place easily accessible (I always choose to put it on desktop)...

4) hold shift on ur keyboard and click restore on iTunes... This will give u the option of looking up the ipsw file and since its on ur desktop u should find it easily!!!

5) select the file and let iTunes do the rest...

If this thing does not work, gaz6076 has a guide that might help you so read that before you take the next step... I have not tried it as I did not needed to but he is much more knowledgeable than me so I assume his guide will definitely help you out... Get his guide here http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...downgrade-preserve-firmware-your-iphone-9736/

I have done that but it only gives me an error an it goes bak to my same version

Factory restore the iOS using iTunes. You will have to stay with that latest iOS without jailbreak until the release of iOS 5. It's for doom anyway.

If you still want to jailbreak you can know they just fixed the TETHERED jailbreak by redsnow if u want to do it do it at ur own risk I have done it to my iPad and my iPhone 4 on 4.2.10 for the iPhone and 4.3.5 on the iPad remember it's TETHERED so u have to boot tethered everytime you download something from Cydia that wants you to reboot or it dies but it resrings fine with out you having to do it buy if you want it look on Redmondpie.com I think is what it is and search for redsnow 0.9.8b7 download it and then look for your firmware which would be 4.2.10 or 4.3.5 download that and then when u start redsnow just use the firmware that your on when it ask and go threw the steps and just install Cydia then when it's done it will load ur phone will unlock u will have a white Cydia icon now u have to turn ur phone off again re run redsnow and this time just check boot tethered for now and remember u have to do this second step everytime you have to reboot or turn on have fun need help just ask

Thanks sid for providing nice information on this topic. Your information is very helpful.

You are welcome burkemelvin, I am just out of touch with the iOS for a bit now... Waiting for my iPhone 4s to reach me... I will be able to help you and others once i get used to using the new iOS and ip4s

N'joy!!!