What's new

I forgot PASSCODE on brand new iphone so i connected it to old used laptop..

Status
Not open for further replies.

erosmoodi

Reaction score
What an idiot. I just bought the iphone x right out of the box, i chose words/numbers password instead of the normal 6digit passcode, i created very strong powerful password and the moment i verified it the second time i forgot it. I knew it instantly. Every minute that passed after that the memory of the random password i chose completely faded away.
Now since new to apple i followed the instructions on apple page to recover through ITUNES. I plugged the iphone to a windows PC, up down hold restart till the connected logo apeard and i clicked restore or however it was spelled On the PC it showed softoware is being downloaded to restore you iphone and so on (or something like that i am talking on memory) till after like 15 minutes my phone gave back the white welcome screen and i've set it up all over again (this time i remembered the damn password good).
THE PROBLEM is i used an old, used by many people, totally unsecure lalptop that i had. There was no other computer around. The laptop was once infected with a virus and altough they've cleared it up i am not so sure if they did. Also a lot of people touched since it was exchanged between other workers.There was itunes installed on it but i UNINSTALLed it and installed it all over again (on the pc) just to be sure. The laptop was also not regulary updated and still stuck on windows 8 (not 8.1, really outdated)
MY QUESTION is if the laptop was somehow compromised is there danger for my iphone, What exactly did this restoration do and why it took so long? Did it completely reinstalled my IOS operation system or it simply erased it. Is it possible that it installed fake/maliscious IOS or the iphone wont install anything except the original ios? I am bit paranoid but just go the device out of the box and i had to connect it with an old used unsecure laptop that made be bit angry of my self. Please tell me there is nothing to worry about, but if there is something share it imidiatelly. Thanks

Your phone is fine. When you select restore in iTunes, a fresh copy of the latest iOS is downloaded (currently 11.2.6) and is installed on your phone after it is wiped clean during the restore process. Depending on your internet connection and download speed, it can take a little while to download. Once downloaded, your phone goes through the process of being wiped and restored with a fresh copy of iOS. Nothing malicious or fake was transferred to your phone. Just use it and enjoy it, you’re fine [emoji2]

Thanks mattguy10, so even if the laptop was somehow not secure there is no way it downloaded something else than the original and newest ios version, right? I mean, i believe iphone would never allow like some fake IOS that people use on those Iphone clones to install on the devices? Becuase on the old android phone you could basically install anything you want if you wipe the ROM and that was ****.
I do believe i am a bit paranoid here, but i feel pissed that i need to do this the same day a bought the phone (actually the same hour) :mad:

Thanks mattguy10, so even if the laptop was somehow not secure there is no way it downloaded something else than the original and newest ios version, right? I mean, i believe iphone would never allow like some fake IOS that people use on those Iphone clones to install on the devices? Becuase on the old android phone you could basically install anything you want if you wipe the ROM and that was ****.
I do believe i am a bit paranoid here, but i feel pissed that i need to do this the same day a bought the phone (actually the same hour) :mad:

Nope you’re fine

Guys thanks for the help. Just final question to clear this up :)
When i tap restore iphone, what exactly happens? Does Itunes download the IOS fresh copy on the laptop and from there transfers it to my iphone or it directly downloads it on the iphone, using the laptop simply as transfer toold (like wifi)
If the files are first downloaded on the laptop, isn't there (even if unlikely) is there a danger that the IOS files get corrupt or anything happens to them? Or in more sci-fii scenario could someone isntall non apple aproved files onto the iphone (like different cloned IOS and so on)?
Or does the iphone itself has build in security wchich will refuse to boot anything that is not apple vereified. And since on my iphone there was this connecting logo (usb cable and itunes icon), shall i have any. any concerns if someone touched or modified the laptop prior to my restoring about my iphone?

Thanks and sorry for overasking, just want to understand more and be less paranoid :)

iTunes will download the right software to the computer. From there, iTunes will update your iPhone. There’s a verification process when iTunes is installing it, where Apple’s servers make sure you’re installing an iOS version signed by Apple. It’s not possible to get a non-Apple-software version to your iPhone.

Good thats what i needed to know. Pardon me for being overparanoid again, i am used to those androids phones where everything can be installed. Its great that Apple has this kind of security :)

Now, more out of curiosity, to close the thread, is there a difference between factory erase iphone directly from the phone settings, and restoring using itunes, connected to a computer? When i restore through itunes, does it completely wipe the entire build in softoware, that came with the devices, and replace it with the downloaded verified one, or certan drivers/particles remain?
Thanks again for the helo

iTunes removes the software on the iPhone completely, and installs the new software.

There‘s no difference between erasing your device using the feature in Settings - General - Reset, and restoring via iTunes. Both will wipe your iPhone.

If you intend to sell it, erasing all content and settings on the iPhone itself is the method recommended by Apple, though.

J.A. thanks very much for your time.
But still, when-> Settings- General- Erase and Reset settings, once tapped, when the device is erased, from where the new software is downloaded. Or, the way i see it, the software itself remains, just every settings and things installed on the device are whiped.
While, when restoring from tunes, everything including the softoware itself is wiped, so it downloads the softoware all over again on the laptop and then intalls it on the device. So, in other words, Restoring from itunes is like reinstalling Windows on PC, while erase from settings is simply returning to factory settings.
So what i feared, wchich you stated should not be considered possible, if somehow the laptop was bugged or whatsoever, was it possible it to install the softoware through itunes, but instead, to install something else on my iphone, although it downloaded the apple softoware. Is there any built in defence/apple recognition particles on the iphone itself, that make sure what is installed through laptop is Apple based product. Because, the rigged laptop may download the right softoware though itunes, but instead to push in different thing on the iphone itself, that being said, we are talking in theory here. Not saying anything happened.

But still, when-> Settings- General- Erase and Reset settings, once tapped, when the device is erased, from where the new software is downloaded. Or, the way i see it, the software itself remains, just every settings and things installed on the device are whiped.
While, when restoring from tunes, everything including the softoware itself is wiped, so it downloads the softoware all over again on the laptop and then intalls it on the device. So, in other words, Restoring from itunes is like reinstalling Windows on PC, while erase from settings is simply returning to factory settings.
So what i feared, wchich you stated should not be considered possible, if somehow the laptop was bugged or whatsoever, was it possible it to install the softoware through itunes, but instead, to install something else on my iphone, although it downloaded the apple softoware. Is there any built in defence/apple recognition particles on the iphone itself, that make sure what is installed through laptop is Apple based product. Because, the rigged laptop may download the right softoware though itunes, but instead to push in different thing on the iphone itself, that being said, we are talking in theory here. Not saying anything happened.

Reading this, I'm curious as to why you just don't do a complete reset on your phone without using iTunes. That way, you can get a fresh copy of iOS and not worry about if someone covertly infected your pc. If you get a copy of iOS and it is somehow infected, hundreds of millions will be in the same boat! Apple wouldn't knowingly let that happen or else they would go out of business. Hope that helps!

That’s not possible. You need an internet connection when you install the new software, and, as stated before, iTunes will connect to Apple’s servers, which make sure only software approved and signed by them will be loaded to the iPhone.

Reading this, I'm curious as to why you just don't do a complete reset on your phone without using iTunes. That way, you can get a fresh copy of iOS and not worry about if someone covertly infected your pc. If you get a copy of iOS and it is somehow infected, hundreds of millions will be in the same boat! Apple wouldn't knowingly let that happen or else they would go out of business. Hope that helps!
It’s not possible to remove the passcode from an iPhone when you erase all content and settings. You have to use iTunes, to get rid of it.

Thats all i wanted to know, thanks. So if i got you right, even if the laptop and the itunes installed on it was somehow compromised, the iphone would never install something different than the IOS original softoware, ensuring this by connecting to apple services to verify it. In other words if the itunes was compromised to try to push non apple or modified softoware, the iphone can never accept that.

Thats all i wanted to know, thanks. So if i got you right, even if the laptop and the itunes installed on it was somehow compromised, the iphone would never install something different than the IOS original softoware, ensuring this by connecting to apple services to verify it. In other words if the itunes was compromised to try to push non apple or modified softoware, the iphone can never accept that.
Exactly. iTunes shows an error code when something goes wrong. Trying to install the wrong software would result in error 3194, and the installation would be stopped immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.