What's new

I forgot PASSCODE on brand new iphone so i connected it to old used laptop..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exact infromation i needed. Thaths what i wanted to be sure of. Sorry for overasking, i am still used to the android stuff, and as you know it can be manipulated hundreds of ways, including by installing all types of softwares, which is horrible. I am glad that apple have build in defence, i knew it before but wanted to make sure. Many great thanks again :)

J.A. just something that i also want to ask, if the locked iphone is connected to a laptop that has no itunes on it, will any connection between the iphone and this laptop happen, like can other modified program, different than itunes, erase the device or the iphone wont connect, itunes solely can do that?

There are tools (recovery software) that say they can erase an iPhone without iTunes, no idea if they really work.
If so, not without you taking action, though. The iPhone will not be erased when you don’t do anything, this doesn’t happen by itself.

What i mean is, lets assume that the program installed on the laptop wasnt Itunes, but some other program that mimics itunes, like some hacker stuff. When i plugged the phone with the cable to the laptop and i force restatred it, the connected cable to itunes appeared on my iphone screen? In a sci-fi scenario, if lets say that wasn't real itunes but some other program that was faking being itunes, could that program perform the erase and new install on the iphone, or the iphone wont allowed anything being installed that is not coming from verified itunes.
I hope you got my point here, in other words what if that wasn't itunes but a program that mimics it, will the locked iphone submit to it and like install anything that comes from it or it will again need to verify that the software is coming from itunes.Can the iphone itself install anything that is not apple based on itself, since it was never jailbroken and so on.
Man i went to far but, it's worth knowing that information.

No, afaik.
I‘ve been using iPads for 6 years now, and iPhones for more than 3 years, and I‘ve never heard of someone complaining about software mimicking iTunes and erasing one of these devices.
I don‘t know the whole process when an iPhone gets connected to iTunes, but Apple certainly made sure that it‘s not possible to erase an iDevice with malware that mimicks iTunes.

I dont know, i cant help but feel a little what is installed on my iphone is what came from that laptop. And that laptop was not trustworthy at all. Its probably me being paranoid. But i just cant seem to find information. If the iphone erases the entire software, which is it's main source of defence, how would the blank phone know what is installed on it. Probably it has some build in drivers that only work with ios or something. I know it's said you should trust apple on this but i dont know, not knowing how things work make me feel really unsecure.

Anyway, you gave more than enough information. very thankfull for that :)

I dont know, i cant help but feel a little what is installed on my iphone is what came from that laptop. And that laptop was not trustworthy at all. Its probably me being paranoid. But i just cant seem to find information. If the iphone erases the entire software, which is it's main source of defence, how would the blank phone know what is installed on it. Probably it has some build in drivers that only work with ios or something. I know it's said you should trust apple on this but i dont know, not knowing how things work make me feel really unsecure.

Anyway, you gave more than enough information. very thankfull for that :)
Why don't you give Apple a ring.
With your new phone comes 90 days of free phone support.
They will most likely tell you the same things that you have read in here but if Apple tell you then you will be satisfied.

It won't help. Hackers always find a way to mess things up. No matter how secure things get they will always find a way. Just like i've read that apple phones being infected while syncing with problematic PC. Now i know it's extrmely rare and the chances that've happened are probably 0.001% but for a paranoid person like me as long as something can go wrong it will. I should have never connected the device to that laptop, i should have taken it to offices store. On apple page it said "use any pc you have that supports Itunes or borrow from a friend" which made me think nothing can go wrong like that but who knows. If something happens apple's repsonce will be its your fault using unsecure laptop. And they are right- their job is to sale the product, what happens with it after that is non of their buisness.
I will counitine using the device, for sure, but you this feeling when you buy a new car and you crash her the first day? Its something like that. I will never however in my mind trust fully the device anymore, for me its not the original software anymore but a new one, hopefully apple's defence against unauthorized software have worked but who knows.
What i've learned in life is once you start doubting something, its ultimately gone for you no matter what. Its probably mine overextended paranoia, but it is was it is. I will bu I will buy a new phone, hopefully as soon as i have the money ofcourse, probably the 8 though, i am not really that excited ot the X thing.
So thanks for the time guys, you helped as much as possible, i belive the thread should be closed now. Good luck and take care :)

That software wouldn’t have been installed in the iPhone, if Apple’s servers had found out there’s something wrong.

That is if the Itunes downloaded on the PC was working properly. If the itunes that was installed was faked by mimicing program, again we are talking in theory, what defence will stop the iphone to install anything being pushed on it? There are few programs in the web that claim they can restostore the device without itunes. I am not sure if they work ofcourse, but if they do it seems they are able to erase and push software without itunes authorization.. So by the same logic a hacker based program, pretending to be itunes, looking exactly like for the common user, may do the trick. The only thing that could help here is if iphone, which i believe it is, has build in security to prevent non apple signed product of being installed on it. Therefore it should not turst the program that is pushing its software, without checking things first. I once read back in the days that apple's software is prewritten on the device and can never be replaced with differend OS. Sure android for iphone can happen with jailbreaking but again it will be like a option available not replacement.
The laptop i used was the worst you can picked, touched by a lot of people some of which both non trusthworthy and very good with these sort of things. I reinstalled itunes but who knows what i really did. The computer was a bit laggy.

Once more: Apple’s servers are not on the PC, they are contacted online, and they can’t be tricked by some fake program.
The tools that I mentioned before, can not install software on the iPhone. iTunes is the only program capable of doing that.

Thinking that Apple doesn’t care what happens to it’s devices after selling them is a wrong conclusion. Just an example: There’s a problem with my Apple Watch. I’ve bought it in September 2016, it’s not new. I’ve reported my problem to Apple, a few weeks ago, and they’re still trying to figure out what has happened. I’ve already had a few phone calls, and received and answered emails.
A company that doesn’t care about customers after they’ve purchased their hardware doesn’t react that way. They’d tell you to get a new one.

J.A. believe me i've used all kinds of services, other phones and so one, Apple by far are the most responsive company. They do care but they wont fix it for you if you've done something wrong. If you jailbreak your device its on you. if you connected it to the wrong laptop its also on you. And they are right about that.
Now i am sure i annoy most people here by fat with my questions, but still i cant figure it out. So here is what i understand step by step and please read it and say if i got it right.

1. The iphone will never install anything while disabled unless it comes from original apple servers? In other words in order the iphone to erase and install a new copy of the software it can solely do that if it recognizes that its connected to apple servers? So that means that it has a build in security inside it that can recognize what is installed on it, meaning that if fake program, pretending to be Itunes tries to do the trick, it will simply not allow it to?

2. The original Itunes will only download and install monitored softoware no matter how compromised the PC is, I get that

Is it possible the iphone to obey a different program (Itunes clone or cracked pirate verison of Itunes), that will mimic apple service and try to push its software to the iphone, pretending to be itunes. This is the core where i lack understanding. Whats the build in security of the iphone that will guarantee that the connected server's are real apple's services.

Any time you update or reinstall the operating system on an iOS device the installation has to be verified with Apple servers after downloading before the installation can be completed. If the download can’t be verified it will be deleted. The detection system for corrupted, fake software, etc., is not on the device but on Apple’s servers.

the installation has to be verified with Apple servers after downloading, but where exactly? I am really lost here. Lets make it simple
We have A B C
A being the apple services
B being Itunes or other restoration program if such exists (i notices on google some programs claiming they can do the same)
C being the iphone 10

If i understand you right, there is connection between A (apple services) and B (Itunes) that verifies the software and from there B injects it into the iphone. So here the sole verification is between A and B. What if A and B are cutted of and a different program unouthorized program tries to push software on the C (the iphone) How the iphone, which will be completely wiped to the last particle, understand what is being installed on it until its done. The way i understand what you are telling me, A and B do the entire verification and than inject C with what is supposed to be verified software.
But what if A and B dont exist and are faked? Will the iphone block the connection if its nor real Itunes but a fake program?

Again, please dont get annoyed by the questions. I am used to android and new to apple.. On android once you wipe the ROM you can installed anything including cracked software downloaded from torrent tracked, full of bugs and malware. I do understand apple wont allow this but no where i seem to find information just exactly what makes the iphone recognize real Itunes from fake program. All i am reading is Itunes downloads software and apple services verifiy it, but i cant find information what if a cracked program tries to full the device that has no internet connection that whats installing on it is official.

Status
Not open for further replies.